Loud grinding noise??

Akfranklin2014

I have a 2000 Honda Civic LX. I had the head gasket replaced and oil and filter changed on April 23. My fiancé and I took the car out of town this past weekend, about 3 hours away. Everything was going good until the drive home Sunday evening. We heard a grinding noise when the car started it went away after a few moments. We decided to get it checked once we got home since it was running fine and the noise went away. About an hour away from home we stopped for a bathroom break. When we started the car the noise started again but was louder and kept going. After checking the oil, we found it was bone dry! We immediately added oil, let it sit for a bit then started it up. The noise started but we let it run for a few moments and it subsided. We drove it home but every time it starts now it does this grinding noise for a minute or so then stops. I'm concerned the lack of oil may have ruined my car. Some people have been telling me it's the starter but that was just replaced in October, so I don't think it is.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Did you see the low oil pressure light illuminated on your dash?

Also I would take it back to the shop that did your work and speak with them. You should also take a look around the motor for oil leaks, if you lost most of your oil in 3 hours then its a substantial leak.

Akfranklin2014

Neither of us ever saw a light illuminated in the dash. I'm wondering if I should have another shop just look at it without doing anything so I can determine if it's something that just happened or if there was something done wrong at the previous shop. I've been burned before with a shop messing up and I was left with the repair bill because I took it back to the same shop and they covered up the problem.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Getting a second opinion is always a great idea. However you will most likely pay a diagnostic charge. In that case you should take it to a Honda Dealer and have them diagnose the issue. Then take it back to the previous shop and speak with the shop manager.