lowering 98 civic noob question help please

civickid94

Alright so I've never lowered a vehicle before, this will be my first. I have stock suspension right now, with 180k miles on it, and it's in perfect condition. My question is, can I simply get some dropzone lowering springs, which lower 2.5in, put them on the stock shock or whatever it's called, and call it good? It's okay if my shocks blow after a few months because by that time I'll be working again and will easily be able to afford a set of full coilovers. Other option is some $45 ebay coilover SLEEVES that are adjustable. I don't fully understand how the sleeves work, but I can't imagine they would be of any quality whatsoever for that price. dropzone's are $75.

Codysitristano

Why dont you wait till you go back to work and lower it waaayyy less headaches then lol

civickid94

I don't really feel like waiting and I don't mind spending 80 bucks to lower it for a few months haha... so which would be better, a brand name coilover sleeve on stock shocks or just lowering springs on stuck shocks?

Codysitristano

Id say lowering springs on stock shocks prolly ride petty nice too I got fully adjustable skunk 2 pro series on mine can u say dumped?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:roll:

You'll be wasting more money and time(money) if you get springs, then replace with coilovers.. Have some patience and get a good set of coilovers once and forget about it. You have to get an alignment done after any suspension work. You'll spend ~$120+ in alignments messing with your suspension twice. Is there a reason that you want to lower your car so badly right now that you can't wait a little bit?

Not to mention that you don't have a job and you're looking to blow ~$100+ on suspension stuff that isn't necessary since you just said yours is completely fine..

civickid94

alright well that being said, what's a good coilover for a daily driver... i'm not looking for super handling or anything, just lowering for looks. spring/shock combo or one piece like tein street basic?... mostly looking for cost efficient here, as i'm just driving around town

civickid94

"Fine", as in they would last for a while with just lowering springs...i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to figure out what's actually best. By the time I get 500-1000 dollars to spare on full coilover, summer will be half over with and I will have an awful 2.5" wheel gap for another 2-3 months, which I don't want to deal with. Unfortunately, i can't go completely flush, seeing as the roads around here aren't really the greatest.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Best bang for buck coilover out now is the Progress CS-2's. Great ride and performance with a solid reputation. You can get them for less than $600 shipped..

Coilovers are great for their adjustability, but, every time you make a change in height you'll need to have your car realigned. So if you're planning on being lower for warmer seasons and raising it back up for winter, you'll be doing 2 alignments every year.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"Fine", as in they would last for a while with just lowering springs...i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to figure out what's actually best. By the time I get 500-1000 dollars to spare on full coilover, summer will be half over with and I will have an awful 2.5" wheel gap for another 2-3 months, which I don't want to deal with. Unfortunately, i can't go completely flush, seeing as the roads around here aren't really the greatest.
i don't mean to bash, but you'll probably be "dealing" with more when you lower the car. a 2.5" gap is nothing to do deal with lol

civickid94

it is something to deal with in terms of me having to look at it every day and everytime i see it it pisses me off haha.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
be patient... you will be happy you did