LUMINICS bulb review

EG4door7o2

I went from RICE 2 NICE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shown on 1993 Honda Civic headlights

of course HID is the way to go...but for the cheap broke heads like myself...here is a Bulb Review on Luminics

i had Nokya artic whites...they were pretty bright and last long...never blew...this is how it looks from camera

here is a picture when i installed Luminics JDM yellow...

here's a pic comparing Nokya artic whites and Luminics JDM yellow

from this pic you can tell you get more wide range and depth visibility with the Luminics JDM yellow

here is a picture with both bulbs on...

Obviously as some people have stated on Honda Tech before that the pictures don't show the quality of the lights as they would in person, and through the driver's seat. I have not tried the other Luminics Colors but..I can say the JDM yellows shine brighter. As far as longevity I will update to as when these bulbs may burn out. and if it does within one year hopefully I will let u know if Luminics does give me an exchange due to their one year warranty policy

as far as cops go I will update if i get pulled over by a mercyless pig.

Hopefully this will help others decide whether they may want these bulbs or not (atleast for JDM yellow)

For more information on these bulbs visit www.Luminicsdirect.com

actual wattage: 12v 60/55w
projected wattage: 135/130w
kelvin output: 2500k

Nokyas were projecting 100w and for the most part recommended using an aftermarket wiring harness as the Nokyas actual wattage was higher...and tend to burn-melt-smoke during use at times.

dp_yz713

im slow
5+ Year Member
hey bro good luck with the cops, i had nokya hyper yellows in and they lit up the road up awsome. but i also got pulled over three times in one week, and got a ticket friday night for them. i would suggest looking up your states highway laws to see what color. most probably will be white. they look cool as hell and work great, but good luck with the cops

EG4door7o2

I went from RICE 2 NICE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dp_yz713 said:
hey bro good luck with the cops, i had nokya hyper yellows in and they lit up the road up awsome. but i also got pulled over three times in one week, and got a ticket friday night for them. i would suggest looking up your states highway laws to see what color. most probably will be white. they look cool as hell and work great, but good luck with the cops
yeah i know :???: but i printed out my State Traffic Law which apparantly states the color yellow to amber is legal...and Luminics website's street legal DOT approved...highlighted it and stuck it in my glove compartment...just incase i get pulled over i got it ready to show just incase a cop pulls be over...of course it doesnt mean i wont get a ticket...the cop may write a ticket and say tell it to the judge....but atleast i got document ready in my glove box for the judge or cop...oh well we'll see

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Yeah i sorta thought also taht yellow was legal due to the fact that it's considered amber, i honestlylike the way they looked, and they most certainly are brighter then the nokia's.

civicdrvr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i have the lum. yellows in my car too love the way they look and the out put is great!

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they're nice but illegal. headlights must be white in color.

ryanM

gearbox said:
obviously not where he lives, he printed out the law where it clearly states yellow to amber is LEGAL :roll: maybe their illegal where you live tho.

EG4door7o2

I went from RICE 2 NICE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gearbox said:
VERY FALSE

these bulbs are DOT approved and street legal...
check your state government official website for law description...depending on which state you live in there will mention the colors. For example in the State of Illinois...it clearly says Yellow or White

while my state Nevada describes front headlamps must be Amber in color or one that resembles...ranging from yellow, to honey brown, to yellow orange tint.....no where does it say white light in the State of Nevada Vehicle requirement law.

HOWEVER that doesnt mean i wont get pulled over for them, or get cited....but according to the law i am withen legal bounderies as far as color, intensity of luminocity...i would probably be breaking the required law of 24 inches of center of headlight to surface of ground before i break the law with these yellow bulbs.

dp_yz713

im slow
5+ Year Member
well louisiana's law says that headlamps should be white. and only white. i think that those look good, but nothing compared to the Nokyas. Mines were pure yellow and could light up a whole street. I will put them in tonight and take a pic of the stock vs. Noyka hyper yellow.

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here is something to read... a little long but you will get the point..
this guy knows lighting

www.danielsternlighting.com

The blue-appearing lenses in many Asian-made fog lamps ("ion crystal", "gold irridium", and other nonsensical marketing names) are coated with a multilayer dichroic interference coating which passes selective-yellow light "on axis", which means "straight ahead". Unfortunately, these coatings tend to glow blue when viewed off-axis, which has caused problems with people getting pulled over for illegal "blue" lights 'cause the cop sees blue as he drives by and pulls a quick U-turn.

Many lamps involving dichroic filter coatings on the reflector or lens tend to create "blue haze" above the beam cutoff or, in the case of a driving or SAE headlamp beam, scattered throughout the beam. That's because of the irridescence of these coatings, which causes or aggravates secondary-reflection problems where none would exist absent the coating. With the mirrorlike dichroic coating reflecting images of the glowing filament, light gets where it doesn't belong. Cadmium glass was used to make the old French-market Selective Yellow bulbs; now that Cadmium's been more or less banned from auto parts for environmental reasons, the best remaining options are dichroic bulbs or non-dichroic filters applied to one of the optical elements (lens or reflector).

Dichroic selective-yellow bulbs are available in some of the common fog lamp bulb formats (H1, H3, 9006...). That is certainly the easiest method of getting selective yellow light from a lamp with colorless optics. For those willing to go to the time and effort, applying a coating to an optical element is a more permanent, somewhat better option that relieves the vehicle owner of the need to find and get special bulbs. The best coating for field conversion of lamps from white to selective yellow is POR-15's Colorchrome, in the "Morning Sun" color. Results of conversion can be seen here.

Of course, when we talk about light color in an automotive context, we need to address the question of legality. Under US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 108 and Canadian Motor Vehicle Standards 108 and 108.1, headlamps as originally installed on motor vehicles (and as installed by anyone other than the vehicle owner) must produce white light.

Let's stop there for a moment. What is "White"? FMVSS108 contains a reference to an SAE standard that defines "white" light in terms of wavelengths. But it's not just one set color. The standard includes a wavelength aggregate RANGE that is considered "white". That's why arc-discharge headlamps, with their decidedly bluish cast, still are considered "white". It's why "blue ion" or "crystal blue" bulbs with blue-pass dichroic filters sold to poseurs who want to try to pretend they have arc-discharge lamps are NOT considered "white". But more relevant to this discussion, the light can tend towards a yellow tint to a certain degree and still qualify as acceptable "white" light. Osram, Narva, Philips and other established European bulbmakers have been offering partial-tint selective-yellow bulbs for some time now.

The blue-appearing lenses in many Asian-made fog lamps ("ion crystal", "gold irridium", and other nonsensical marketing names) are coated with a multilayer dichroic interference coating which passes selective-yellow light "on axis", which means "straight ahead". Unfortunately, these coatings tend to glow blue when viewed off-axis, which has caused problems with people getting pulled over for illegal "blue" lights 'cause the cop sees blue as he drives by and pulls a quick U-turn.

Many lamps involving dichroic filter coatings on the reflector or lens tend to create "blue haze" above the beam cutoff or, in the case of a driving or SAE headlamp beam, scattered throughout the beam. That's because of the irridescence of these coatings, which causes or aggravates secondary-reflection problems where none would exist absent the coating. With the mirrorlike dichroic coating reflecting images of the glowing filament, light gets where it doesn't belong. Cadmium glass was used to make the old French-market Selective Yellow bulbs; now that Cadmium's been more or less banned from auto parts for environmental reasons, the best remaining options are dichroic bulbs or non-dichroic filters applied to one of the optical elements (lens or reflector).

Dichroic selective-yellow bulbs are available in some of the common fog lamp bulb formats (H1, H3, 9006...). That is certainly the easiest method of getting selective yellow light from a lamp with colorless optics. For those willing to go to the time and effort, applying a coating to an optical element is a more permanent, somewhat better option that relieves the vehicle owner of the need to find and get special bulbs. The best coating for field conversion of lamps from white to selective yellow is POR-15's Colorchrome, in the "Morning Sun" color. Results of conversion can be seen here.

Of course, when we talk about light color in an automotive context, we need to address the question of legality. Under US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 108 and Canadian Motor Vehicle Standards 108 and 108.1, headlamps as originally installed on motor vehicles (and as installed by anyone other than the vehicle owner) must produce white light.

Let's stop there for a moment. What is "White"? FMVSS108 contains a reference to an SAE standard that defines "white" light in terms of wavelengths. But it's not just one set color. The standard includes a wavelength aggregate RANGE that is considered "white". That's why arc-discharge headlamps, with their decidedly bluish cast, still are considered "white". It's why "blue ion" or "crystal blue" bulbs with blue-pass dichroic filters sold to poseurs who want to try to pretend they have arc-discharge lamps are NOT considered "white". But more relevant to this discussion, the light can tend towards a yellow tint to a certain degree and still qualify as acceptable "white" light. Osram, Narva, Philips and other established European bulbmakers have been offering partial-tint selective-yellow bulbs for some time now.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they are talking about slightly off-white bulbs like philips weathervision, not pure yellow bulbs.

kangaroo

..........UPS.........
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn i am starting to like those yellow bulbs.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the light output on the road is amazing almost better than hid cause your eyes can see better at night with yellow.

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had yellow lamps in my old civic 5yrs ago and loved them now I have yellow fogs and elcheapo headlamps and have not had a problem seeing at all

dp_yz713

im slow
5+ Year Member
yah i agree with gearbox, those that are slightly yellow are no problem. however, the pure yellow, nokya for sure, is illegal. they are not DOT approved, and not for street use. it says on the box to check with local athourity befoer installing. i will take pics tonight when i get home so you guys can see how much brighter pure yellow is.

heres my nokyas, nothing really compared to how they really look. oh and anyone who wants them can have them for $17 shipped!