main bearings

retroman

Hey Guys:

After installing a new front engine seal and not solving my oil leak problem, I learned that my main bearings were in bad shape allowing the crank to wobble just a bit allowing oil to leak thru. I have a fair amount of mechanical ability and was hoping to be able to replace the mains without removing the engine. If I release the tension on all of the belts and unbolt one bearing cap at a time could I slip the main bearing into place?
BOB

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Doing one at a time, how do you expect to get the crank shaft out of the way to get the old ones out and the new ones in? At the very least you would need to remove all the caps to get the clearance. I wouldn't expect good results though. And if you are going to be in there, why wouldn't you rering the pistons, and refresh the rod bearings?

Plus with yours wallowing out the main seal who knows if the factory spec ones are even going to fit anymore. Your crank is probably to the point of needing re-machined and re-balanced at this point so your new bearings wouldn't last very long.

dancam

Registered VIP
I would agree that you cant.
So your options are to do an actual rebuild and do rings, main bearings and big end bearings and maybe oil pump.
Or to just run 5w30 or 5w40 depending on how bad it is to compensate a bit for the extra play and just top your oil up more often.
Or you could just replace the motor with a $500 one from a wrecker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willost

I have done it before on the race car so yes. But you bearing wouldn't cause it to walk. Your thrust bearings would though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk