Main Relay?

bibialex

5+ Year Member
Fuel pump and the fuel pump relay were replaced.But then it won't start until I turn the key for 5 seconds then I hear the fuel pump prime then sometimes it will NOT prime.Once it is primed the engine light turns off then it turns on fine.
Actually my recepit shows fuel pump relay but i looked at the part they replaced and it has Main Relay.
So could the PCM be going out?
Please help!

Last edited:

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Fuel pump and the fuel pump relay were replaced.But then it won't start until I turn the key for 5 seconds then I hear the fuel pump prime then sometimes it will NOT prime.Once it is primed the engine light turns off then it turns on fine.
Actually my recepit shows fuel pump relay but i looked at the part they replaced and it has Main Relay.
So could the PCM be going out?
Please help!
fuel relay and main relay are the same thing on these cars. i would check for a faulty fuel pump.

RonJ

Banned
Try cleaning and tightening the critical ground wire attached to the thermostat housing.

Was a brand new main relay installed or was it used? You might want to open it up and inspect the solder joints.

bibialex

5+ Year Member
Try cleaning and tightening the critical ground wire attached to the thermostat housing.

Was a brand new main relay installed or was it used? You might want to open it up and inspect the solder joints.
Used relay but is is the one under the driver side dash? Where is the thermostat housing area?

RonJ

Banned
Used relay but is is the one under the driver side dash?
Yes, the main relay is on the driver's side (see diagram). Click this link to learn how to resolder the main relay.

Where is the thermostat housing area?
The thermostat housing is located behind and below the distributor. It's the metal housing where the thermostat is installed. The G101 ground wire is attached to the thermostat housing. Clean the ground wire contacts by sanding them to expose shiny metal and then tighten up the bolt.