Making my car rust free forever

hondaguy115

Hey, great site, new to the site. I am working on a generation 4 Honda civic, have the motor totally powder coated and am just finishing the exterior. Got some awesome fiberglass panels for the rear and rockers, still waiting for the doors. Finally no rust, and don't ever have to worry about it again. BTW having 1 problem with my car I could use the help. Car idles at about 1700 rpm's when I start it. when the engine gets hot its increases id say to almost 3k rpm's, but when I shut the car off and restart it everything runs fine and idle drops to 800 rpm's. If anyone knows what it could be please reply.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got some awesome fiberglass panels for the rear and rockers, still waiting for the doors. Finally no rust, and don't ever have to worry about it again.
You will when moisture penetrates where the fiberglass and steel meet. It will make it's way back, especially living in Canada.

1 problem with my car I could use the help. Car idles at about 1700 rpm's when I start it. when the engine gets hot its increases id say to almost 3k rpm's, but when I shut the car off and restart it everything runs fine and idle drops to 800 rpm's.
What motor do you have?
Early diagnosis, could be the IACV. (Idle Air Control Valve).

Some troubleshooting methods i found...

Unplug the IACV, if the idle calms down when you unplug it, then it probably just needs a better cleaning.

The IACV is a solenoid valve that can get gunked up with carbon over time.
When the screen is clean you have just scratched the surface of the carbon buildup, you need to remove the carbon from deep inside the valve also.

Use throttle body cleaner to dissolves the carbon.
Fill the valve and let it soak for half an hour then dump the fluid. If the fluid shows any hint of brown then repeat until fluid is completely clear.

hondaguy115

Yeah that's cool about the rust, but I disagree. The fiberglass comes in contact with the steel nowhere. I spent a lot of time on research and this company is been around for a long time, you just can't simple order a panel and have it shipped tomorrow, there is a waiting list for them. If I were ever to get any rust at the transition point it sure is simpler to fix than rusted out wheel-wells or around the doors, for which you can't even buy partial panels for, and if you could they are made out of paper. Thanks for the info about the engine, I will go check that and see what I find