Manual Transmission Flush: Options

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I forgot to mention earlier, the whole drain & fill process was rather easy once the bolts broke loose. I definitely needed enough floor clearance to properly leverage the breaker bar. Do note that a long thin-necked narrow funnel will make it very easy to fill through the speed sensor hole, which is held in by just one 10mm bolt thats top-mounted for easy access. I didn't have a thin long funnel but used two shorter funnels that's worked fine after I got a little overzealous and poured too fast at one point and spilled over a little. With that said, pour slowly as you only need 2 quarts so it wont take long anyways.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
With that said, I figure in a few hundred miles I'll just feed the telescopic magnet through the filler hole again and decide whether or not it needs another flush at that time. I'll chime in a few hundred miles from now with updates on how this AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modifier continues to do.
Just be aware that since you have a magnetic drain bolt in there, the shavings are going to stick to it. You might not get much from the magnet because of that. +1 on using synchromesh, it's all I ran though my B18 and never had any issues.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just be aware that since you have a magnetic drain bolt in there, the shavings are going to stick to it. You might not get much from the magnet because of that. +1 on using synchromesh, it's all I ran though my B18 and never had any issues.
Oh, of course. I'll just use it as a measure for if there's still too much floating around.

Last edited:

TheUglyHatchling

I forgot to mention earlier, the whole drain & fill process was rather easy once the bolts broke loose. I definitely needed enough floor clearance to properly leverage the breaker bar.
I guess I lucked out. We didn't have to use a bar or anything on the bolts.

We did a flush when we replaced the cv axles on The Hatchling. We did it through the VSS hole using one of those bowel funnels you can get at the parts house. The one that has a " gate " that you can close off while you refill the bowel. Plus the tube fits the vss hole perfectly.

I didn't use synchromesh or anything. I actually used valvoline 5w-30 and I've had no issues running maybe 1,000 miles now since the cv axles were done and the flush. And thats including that I do run the civic hard doing deliveries.

dancam

Registered VIP
I guess I lucked out. We didn't have to use a bar or anything on the bolts.

We did a flush when we replaced the cv axles on The Hatchling. We did it through the VSS hole using one of those bowel funnels you can get at the parts house. The one that has a " gate " that you can close off while you refill the bowel. Plus the tube fits the vss hole perfectly.

I didn't use synchromesh or anything. I actually used valvoline 5w-30 and I've had no issues running maybe 1,000 miles now since the cv axles were done and the flush. And thats including that I do run the civic hard doing deliveries.
What made you choose engine oil for the transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I know when I was doing my research, a bunch of people on CRSX were recommending oil. Never really found out why though.

dancam

Registered VIP
I know when I was doing my research, a bunch of people on CRSX were recommending oil. Never really found out why though.
The haynes repair manual as well as others i am sure states for some cars ( not sure about this gen of civic) that 30 weight engine oil can be used in the transmission in an emergency situation temporarily until it can be drained and filled with the proper fluid at the soonest interval. That and people trying it for long periods without their transmission dying is probably the reason.
I was just wondering why this guy did as the trans only takes like 1.5L of fluid so its really not that expensive to use the right stuff unless its leaking bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HeX

TheUglyHatchling

Couple reasons the main one being I've had to put a new transmission in my old 3rd gen accord within a couple days of using honda mtf.

A close friend of mine also has been running engine oil in his eg and his gsr for more then 2 years now and hasn't had any issues at all. "

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Couple reasons the main one being I've had to put a new transmission in my old 3rd gen accord within a couple days of using honda mtf.
I would think its more likely that the tranny fluid flush itself lead to the tranny failure more than the specific fluid. With that said, its widely agreed that the newer manual tranny fluid formula is not as good on our later Hondas than the newer ones.

A close friend of mine also has been running engine oil in his eg and his gsr for more than 2 years now and hasn't had any issues at all. "
I agree as said earlier that all I've ever heard from reputable people is that engine oil should only be used in the short term in a manual tranny. Now what basis of comparison does your friend use to state that 2 years running on engine oil in the tranny has produced no issues? Is he a legit mechanic that should know better? Has he inspected the viscosity and color of the tranny or at least the fluid level? I ask because there are a lot of people who claim they have no issues and it ends up being they had clear issues but didnt notice or were unaware of how to identify them.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would think its more likely that the tranny fluid flush itself lead to the tranny failure more than the specific fluid. With that said, its widely agreed that the newer manual tranny fluid formula is not as good on our later Hondas than the newer ones.

I agree as said earlier that all I've ever heard from reputable people is that engine oil should only be used in the short term in a manual tranny. Now what basis of comparison does your friend use to state that 2 years running on engine oil in the tranny has produced no issues? Is he a legit mechanic that should know better? Has he inspected the viscosity and color of the tranny or at least the fluid level? I ask because there are a lot of people who claim they have no issues and it ends up being they had clear issues but didnt notice or were unaware of how to identify them.
Nothing wrong with running 5w 30 engine oil in the tranny, bone (transzex) recommend it over the new honda mtf formula. Another guy that works for woopie doo racing recommends torco mtf if you can afford it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nothing wrong with running 5w 30 engine oil in the tranny, bone (transzex) recommend it over the new honda mtf formula.
Unless I hear a rational explanation of why engine oil will suffice LONG TERM, I just cant believe the word of anyone that I don't know. "Just because" means nothing to me, which is whats being implied.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What I don't get is why (think it was my Haynes manual) recommends honda mtf for manual d16 tranny but it recommends 5w30 for a manual b series tranny

TheUglyHatchling

He's a honda enthusiast who has built his gsr from the ground up. There isn't a mechanic that knows HIS car better then he does. He also used the gsr for doing deliveries for the better half of a year. That job alone if it was going to cause a problem it would have shown in a job where 1,000+ miles a week isn't that unheard of.

Plus he is abit over protective of the car and like me checked his fluid every day before work and during his shift. and he's never had a issue out of running the 5w30 in it for extended periods of time.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've heard engine oil is fine and to change it every other oil change. I've never used it personally but every time I've asked a mechanic they said it's fine if you have to do it but if you can afford tranny fluid it will last longer an won't require more changes.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its been just shy of 4 months since the flush and my tranny is still performing well. I've gone on a 500 miles round trip getaway and it all went well. I havent identified any issues, so mission accomplished.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i've always used regular 5w30 motor oil never had problem with them and i barely changed them. this is with bunch of track/race times on them

HockeyZombies

Respected
You could just do a bunch of drain and refills with GM or Pennzoil Synchromesh, place a magnet near drain plug and after 2 drain and fills run Redline MTL and call it a day. Maybe get it hot and while its draining out;wait till its almost dripping and use air compressor to push any lingering particles out the drain hole.

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
This is something I will be doing to my car when I change the oil.
I know this is a stupid question, but where is the drain plug on the transmission, is it on the bottom of the transmission like the oil drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Itll look kinda like this...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
9 months and couting and the Synchromesh FM fluid still seems to be doing well. I drove to Miami & back this weekend and the tranny behaved just fine.