Manual Transmission leak

Hondaman4ever

Hi all.

Just got a manual '98 Civic that's very clean but it has a somewhat bad leak. Took it to two different mechanics and each is telling me something different. One said it's from the seal (I don't know what it's called but it's the one between the 2 trans. halves). The other said it's from the axles (where they go into the trans. box) and he wants to change the axles because he says they're bad and only changing them would fix the problem. He wants more than $600 -I'm in canada- to do that, which is way way too much and I'm not convinced because the car before this one -also a '98 Civic- had a pretty damn loose front end and I'm sure the axles were bad but no leaks whatsoever. I'm planning on going to another mechanic but you know how it is, it's very hard to find an honest one. I'm wondering if there's a way I can be certain what's causing the leak. Maybe cleaning up the area and watching for leaks but I don't have a garage or a hydraulic jack to raise the car high enough.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cleaning it up and watching for leaks is about the best thing to do.

Hondaman4ever

Ok. I haven't tried cleaning the area where the leak is but I could see oil all around the axle (where it goes into the transmission casing) and there's oil on the floor right underneath (on both sides of the tranny) which makes me think that's where the leak is originating. My understanding is that there's a seal (axle seal) that can cause this kind of leak and from the looks of it I think this is my problem (looks like both right and left axle seals are bad). At this point, I don't think I want to change the axles themselves although one boot is ripped but there's no clicking sound on right/left turns. Is it safe to assume changing the axle seals will fix the problem? The mechanic says new seals won't last long if I don't change the axle. I'm not buying it. I drove an '83 Accord for 8 years on CV joints that were clicking and never had a drop of oil leaking out of the seals.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, If your axles are bad and boots are torn, then they should be replaced. Throwing on a set of seals isnt a monumental task.

IDK the exchange rate between USD and Canadian money, but reman'd axles installed are under 200 USD for civics. Seals are pretty simple as its right there.

Hondaman4ever

The axles don't make clicking noise when turning and only one boot is ripped. I don't think axles are a priority especially that they don't make noise like I said. $200 in the US but this is canada. The mechanic I went to wants $650 ($540 US)to replace the axles, which is beyond ridiculous and nothing short of highway robbery. I think a pair of new axles in the US is like $120 but here it's around $250 US. Anyway, I just want to know if I'm guessing right about the axle seals causing the leak.

Im_Expired

I once had this same issue. Sorry , I don't know the currency exchange for this but I purchased two cv axle inputs seals for my transmission. It was leaking very badly. The seals were 6USD each. I tore down my front end and replaced them. Slapped in two new cv axles that cost me 53USD each. Never had the issue again.

I also went with a slightly thicker transmission fluid that it called for.

Hondaman4ever

Thanks for the replies.

I'm Expired, the price of each axle here is about $120 US (double the price in the US). Both will cost more than $250 US.
I'm thinking about taking a short trip to the US and buying the parts there. I just hope I'll be able to do the job myself, since I've never done anything like that. Or maybe just replace the axle seals for now and do the axles later.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea but your right there.. might as well take care of everything while your there.

RestoRoc89

5+ Year Member
I can sympathize regarding part prices here in Canada. I have an account with a UPS store in MI. I ship everything there and pick it up in person.

Regarding the axle seals, they don't usually just fail for no reason. You'll have some other mechanical issue that took the seals out. Worn CV axles might be the culprit. You'll have to check them for play and also inspect the sealing/bearing surfaces. Most likely, I would suspect the bearings in the diff allowing axle stubs to have radial play. Do you hear any growling noises while driving at highway speeds?

Hondaman4ever

Thanks for the reply, restoroc. That's what I'm planning on doing - open a mailbox in the US and pick up the stuff there since I only live about 15 Kms from the WA. border. The difference in prices is criminal.

I don't hear any noises when driving fast or slow actually. The car is pretty quiet, however I do hear a low continuous noise when I do a circle at a very low speed. It's not the clicking noise you hear when you have bad CV joints but more like a humming noise. When the car was at the mechanic shop (on the hoist) he pushed up on the axles and he said they were moving (up and down) which can cause the seals to tear and leak.
I guess I'll just buy new axles from the US. It's not bad if it only costs me around $150 and hopefully I can do the job myself.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check www.Rockauto.com

but they might want a core.

Usually bad motor mounts are the culprit cause driveline issues along with accelerating while the wheels are turned..