Maximum power from stock alternator?

Brondog

Guys, I promisse I did look around on the FAQs before coming here to ask questions, I've even looked on some manuals online but I did not find any place that could safely tell me what is the total power in Watts that my factory alternator provides to my system.

I'm asking this because I'm about to install a 2000W sound system on my ride and now I'm worried about it. Idk if I'll need to change alternators or if simply installing a capacitor or even an extra battery will help or if it will actually come to me having to really change the alternator and install a new one.

Please give me some help.

Thank you all for the interest in my question.

PEACE!

Brondog

Oh, just realized I forgot to mention:
Civic 2000 EX AT

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
should be fine if you get a capacitor. -thumbs up-

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If thats 2000-watts RMS then get a 2-farad capacitor and you'll be fine. If thats max wattage, ignore it and figure out the RMS wattage and get 1-farad per 500 RMS watts.

Brondog

It will actually be a little bit less than 2000W RMS. I'l install a JBL 1400.1 (1500W RMS) and a Hertz HCP4 (380W RMS) for a total of 1880W RMS.

Idk what this Max wattage means but I won't worry much about it because these amps are MUCH more than what I need (the hertz will power a Morel Maximo 6 2 way kit and the JBL will power 2 JL 10W3V3-4 500W subs).

Thank you two for the nice and fast responses! I will buy a capacitor soon!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im glad to have helped. FYI, capacitors are simple technology but I still wouldnt go too cheap on one, in case you were considering that.

Brondog

I still wouldnt go too cheap on one, in case you were considering that.
Of course! I'll buy a decent quality one. No reason to go with nice everything and then decide to go cheap on the cap.

Thank you!