megan racing headers illegal?

iwannacivicsi

i was looking around at review of megan racing 4-2-1 headers for my ej8 and saw mixed opinions saying that they are not street legal. i live in illinois and im wondering if they are street legal or not. any help?

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only thing that would make them illegal as far as i can think of would be if they didnt offer a bung for the O2 sensor, or if the length made it to where you couldnt have a catalytic converter, (unless your OE one is built into the header, like my 95CX was) but yeah, if it deletes and O2 in any way, or deletes your catalytic converter then i would said its probably not "carb certified" i.e. illegal.

hope that helps.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if it deletes and O2 in any way, or deletes your catalytic converter then i would said its probably not "carb certified" i.e. illegal.
CARB Certified only applies to California

You won't have any problems with them in Illinois.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
They just arent carb certified so to cover there ass the company states that they are for "off road purposes only" or something to that effect.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Technically, most modifications to your car are illegal. Modifying you exhaust(which may include the header) is illegal in most states. Raising or lowering your car is illegal in most states. Most companies are safe legally when they put in their description that it is "for off road use only". Yet, people still modify their cars. Some get pulled over for an exhaust, some for suspension, some for tint, etc... It's a risk you should be aware of when modifying and shouldn't be surprised if you're pulled over for something..