Mini me swap 1996 Honda civic hatch

ekhatch93

Hi guys. I have a mini me swap (y7 vtec head off a 99 civic) that is burning oil which is causing it to overheat. What could be wrong with the engine?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Any CEL code?

ekhatch93

Vtec malfunction.

This guy.. So why does it over heat when it has low oil? And not when it has the right amount of oil??

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oil doesn't have to do with the engine temp, it has to do with lubrication and longevity. Now, low oil would cause extra friction and unnecessary heat, but the overheating on the gauge has to do with the cooling system which is completely separate from the oil. Hence why it is very bad when you get oil in the cooling system. Unless you are saying that you have an oil temp gauge and it is showing high temps, then that would be a different thing and should have been clear in the first post.

Sounds like you have more than one thing wrong. To find the right direction for a fix, you need to provide every single bit of information you have for the situation. Without it, you are wasting everyone's time...including your own. Incomplete information leads to guessing which is not the right way to go about troubleshooting a problem.

ekhatch93

I'm not a mechanic. That's all I know at the moment. If you guys have any thoughts or questions why don't you ask instead. THAT would be helpful to someone who doesn't know what's going on.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...To find the right direction for a fix, you need to provide every single bit of information you have for the situation. Without it, you are wasting everyone's time...including your own. Incomplete information leads to guessing which is not the right way to go about troubleshooting a problem.
Do you understand that there is absolutely NO information to go off of based on your posts? Not trying to start anything, I am just stating the facts from this end. The way you are doing it now would be just a thread full of guesses and no one is going to come in here and waste their time unless given proper direction to begin.

All you have said is that it is burning oil causing it to overheat and something about vtec malfunction. These don't burn oil so there needs to be clarification there. How do you know it is burning oil and not just leaking it out which is common with older vehicles and if in fact one of the leaks is from the vtec solenoid gasket that would lead to a vtec solenoid failure.

Your overheating is a separate problem and needs to be addressed by it's self. Again, we need more information gathered there to begin to set a direction.

Look for leaks in the cooling system. Look for leaks anywhere in the engine compartment. Then report back with usable information. Give us something to go with instead of just "burning oil, what's wrong...".

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Vtec malfunction.

This guy.. So why does it over heat when it has low oil? And not when it has the right amount of oil??
I'm not a mechanic. That's all I know at the moment. If you guys have any thoughts or questions why don't you ask instead. THAT would be helpful to someone who doesn't know what's going on.
Exactly, you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to this situation. So when someone corrects you after you have asked for help or advice, shut up and listen.

If you ask nicely and do what we ask of you, someone might take the time out of their day to help you with YOUR problem.

Until then, good luck.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Exactly, you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to this situation. So when someone corrects you after you have asked for help or advice, shut up and listen.

If you ask nicely and do what we ask of you, someone might take the time out of their day to help you with YOUR problem.

Until then, good luck.
This. You are coming to a site of people that help for FREE out of their own time. Most people just move on without helping anyway and the few that are left that actually put time into their day to try and help those that don't search or don't know what they are doing don't usually help when confronted with an attitude. Having an attitude regardless of the answer you receive is only going to spiral downhill and will also cause others to chime in on the attitude instead of helping with the vehicle or they will move on and help someone that seems more in tune to appreciate the help given.

Trust me, I have been navigating forums and moderating for over 14 years now and the way you went about it NEVER gets the problem solved and usually leads to conversations like this that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Live and learn.

ekhatch93

This. You are coming to a site of people that help for FREE out of their own time. Most people just move on without helping anyway and the few that are left that actually put time into their day to try and help those that don't search or don't know what they are doing don't usually help when confronted with an attitude. Having an attitude regardless of the answer you receive is only going to spiral downhill and will also cause others to chime in on the attitude instead of helping with the vehicle or they will move on and help someone that seems more in tune to appreciate the help given.

Trust me, I have been navigating forums and moderating for over 14 years now and the way you went about it NEVER gets the problem solved and usually leads to conversations like this that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Live and learn.

Ok how about this. Whenever I turn on the ac it overheats. I didn't see any leaks. Radiator works. Ac works.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Check your coolant temp level

Check to see if both fans are turning on

Check your thermostat

Does it smoke at all?

How much oil are you going through? (Your low oil level is causing the Vtec malfunction)

ekhatch93

I got the vtec malfunction @ 100mph it's weird. Cuz check engine came on and I checked it and it was that.

Coolant water is good fan turns on. That part does it's job.

It doesn't smoke.

Like ina week it'll get to the bottom dot. So I have to refill it.

Only thing I haven't checked is the thermostat.