1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

Misfire

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by Beaver, Nov 24, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

2000 DX hatchback 260,000km. It has a misfire. It was misfiring last spring so I replaced the plug leads, cap & rotor and the misfire went away. The car only gets driven 4-500km per month so perhaps 3000km since then. It now misfires again. If I creep up on the throttle it will accelerate slowly without misfiring. If I drive normally it misfires under load. If I drive with the RPMs around 4000 it either doesn't misfire or it's spinning too fast to notice. What should I look at next assuming the replaced parts are not crap?

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

Post all CEL codes that repeat after resetting the ECU.

3. FWDKILLER

FWDKILLER New Member

check spark plugs to see if any fuel or oil on them , you could have a leak on your spark plugs seals . a few cars I own had a misfire and I kept replaceing spark plugs ever 100 miles or so till I stop being lazy to change it.
    the cel codes will only tell you what cyclinder is misfireing that's all , you will end doing the same I just mention.

4. Beaver

Beaver New Member

Plugs are good. I adjusted the timing as far as it would go and it ran fine for a day. I'm thinking my timing belt might have skipped a tooth. If it's not the timing belt I'm fire bombing the fucking thing and buying a Toyota. This thing is like sail boat, just pour money into it. Once I get the motor figured out I'll need to do the transmission input bearing.

5. boofoo

Hey beave. Any interest in doing simple bonehead diagnostics by pulling the CEL codes?

My guess is you have no interest and would rather drive the rattletrap shitbox off a cliff. Please post the video.

6. Beaver

Beaver New Member

Well, the thing is, the CEL light is not on. A friend hooked his reader up to it and guess what, no codes. So Mr. Boofoo, take your self righteous attitude and stick it up your dipstick hole.

7. boofoo

Haha, beave. You’re so sensitive. These are your words, not mine.

Please post a video.

And I’m glad you finally did some simple diagnostics before deciding to take the fire bomb option.

=)

8. Beaver

Beaver New Member

Ya, maybe a little sensitive this morning. Company christmas party on the weekend and I'm still not firing on all cylinders. If I do firebomb it there will be video

9. boofoo

:thumbs up

Definitely check the mechanical timing.