Modding a completely stock 98' civic ex from the inside out.

dsprimal

Banned
Hello ClubCivic. It has been ages since I was last on here. But a brief history of my civic. It's a 1998 civic EX. I got it in 2004 with 26k miles. it now just broke 90k miles 8 years later. It has been my first and only car. So i've finally decided to treat it nice and put some money into it to spice it up.

I was considering tints first, then HID's and fogs, then coil overs rather than springs for a better feeling ride from what I hear? 5 spoke rims (gold) or white. my cars black so I've always loved the look of black on gold/white. That's pretty much the extent of my modding. all looks no show (for now ;) ). I want all of this done within a price bracket or 2-3 grand? I don't want the best of the best. But reliable parts.

If I can get a break down on the pricing on everything I want modded and the companies I should go with that would be GREAT!!

Tints-
Coil-overs or springs? -
5 spoke rims -
Tires -
HID's / Fogs -

Any additional parts that I may have missed that will be necessary please feel free to list them as well!!! if all goes as planned with my modding we'll have another head turner on the roads =) Thanks club civic!!

Here is a picture of my Civic, I have a OEM body kit (kinda hurt but I'll tend to that when I have more money).

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/dsPriMaL/civic003.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/dsPriMaL/civic009.jpg

Trekk

Registered VIP
Tints depend where you live and what you get, but good stuff will run you just over $100.
For springs S techs are nice, you can get them all over the place for $120-$130 shipped.
Wheels is all you they can run from $380 a set to $5,000 a set lol.
Tires just get whatever is cheapest or on sale, if you are just driving around like a normal person.

You can get all of the above for just over 1k. Then add in hid's, install, and alignment you could be near $1,500. That leaves money for other things like shocks, and what not, if you want, but you seem like the type that wouldn't need to go too crazy.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
full coilovers - $500 - $900 depending on what you get
tint - $100 - $200 for the whole car depending on where you get it done
HID's - $40 - $120 depending on the set
rims - jump on some rotas (new they'll be about $500)
tires - depends on what you get

total with tires running you $400 for a good set = $2120 on a "worst case" scenario

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol you could sell that front and rear lip and prolly fund your whole project

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol you could sell that front and rear lip and prolly fund your whole project
I thought the same thing when I saw the pics.
If they are the real deal 96-98 OEM Honda front and rear lip kit, those are a tough find.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could probably do all of the above within the $3,000 budget, $2,000 might be tight. Personally I would skip the HIDs and fog lights and just use your whole budget for professional tint, decent rims/tires and quality coilovers. You can get cheap HIDs but they are problematic and not worth the hassle. Fog lights are nice but actual OEM ones are extremely rare and expensive if you can find them. Knockoffs are available but people always complain about them going out and the wires frying.

If you have that car with the OEM lips, nice drop, nice wheels, nice tint it will look awesome. If you skimp a little bit on the wheels or coil overs for HIDs and foglights, you'll have rims that don't look as good and more than likely problematic lights and a bumpier ride.

I thought the same thing when I saw the pics.
If they are the real deal 96-98 OEM Honda front and rear lip kit, those are a tough find.
They're definitely real deal lips, value isn't quite as high as it once was on those though.

Tires just get whatever is cheapest or on sale, if you are just driving around like a normal person.
Bad advice. :roll:

Last edited:

dsprimal

Banned
anyone recommend specific sites I should look into? and how much do you think the OEM lips could go for/where could I sell them? that might be a possibility lol. I've also been looking into Tien springs and have seen nothing but good reviews. But i also hear if i want a smoother ride as close as stock as possible i should go with coilovers rather than springs.

Thanks for the feedback so far!!

Trekk

Registered VIP
Bad advice? s*** I have nitto 555s on one of my cars and they were $70 off per-wheel. I've run cheap and best. Many times the price difference between cheap and mid grade tires is $4-5 more a tire.

For rims and tires I've always liked discounttiredirect.com they have lots to choose from but, they will also get you anything you want that isn't on the site. When your ready to buy call them, don't click and buy, they will know all the sales and sometimes give you an extra discount on top of everything.

dsprimal

Banned
/bump anymore companies i should look into when it comes to coilovers, rims, tires? and how much of a drop would you all recommend that would look nice without feeling horrible to drive? if that made sense lol thanks

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
/bump anymore companies i should look into when it comes to coilovers, rims, tires? and how much of a drop would you all recommend that would look nice without feeling horrible to drive? if that made sense lol thanks
For coilovers you could look into Function & Form or Koni Yellow shocks with Ground control sleeves. Tires I'd say Yokohama or Kumho. And rims are all about what you like.

I plan on dropping to get rid of tire gap, but that's it. You're looking at a bumpy ride regardless if you plan to get some tight springs so you won't tuck tire and rub anything when you give your friends a ride lol. If it's a DD then don't slam it and try to do the stance thing, horrible for everyday driving. But that's just my opinion lol