Moonroof doesn't work, 92 Civic

TashiD

Hi, all. Electrical issues usually best me and I'm reaching out for help for the first time. It's a 5th gen. 1992 civic hatchback si and when I bought it recently the seller (a Honda tech in Denver) said the moonroof motor had to be replaced. Taking him at his word I got a used motor off eBay and removed as much of the headliner as needed to get at the motor. I swapped them but no go. On pressing the switch open, closed, or tilt the only sound is a click from under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Testing the switch leads as per the shop manual yields no motion of the motor and the black wire has continuity to body ground. Neither the original motor nor the used from eBay moves on wiring three motor 2-P connector directly to battery terminal positive with the other connector connected to the harness from the switch though the motor is not fixed in place but hanging. I guess it's reasonable I got another bad motor but before I try to return it (and find another which is a pain as they're quite expensive new and rare used in my experience) perhaps one of you has some other ideas? Thanks for reading.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member