Multiple issues: 05 Civic

MommaMea

Hello,
We're having several problems. 1st the car radio stopped working, no power, but cigarette lighter etc still works. Next, the car has started occasionally jerking & the check engine light stays on. 3rd We've hooked up two different readers to the obd-II port & neither would read the car (one was my bros, only a couple years old, the other was a brand new one with bluetooth that sends info to your phone). What could cause all these problems? I need help. This is our only vehicle.

MommaMea

Ok thanks for responding so fast. Could wiring or computer problems cause the car to jerk? Please tell me it couldn't be the catalytic converter....we can't afford that kind of a problem right now. Our house flooded (car wasn't in the flood) in Hurricane Mathew & we're still in the process of repairs!

MommaMea

Ok thanks to you both. We'll go out & look at it tomorrow.

daperez13

Respected
The catalytic converter is mainly used to make vehicles less damaging to the environment. It shouldn't have any impact on driveability. Neither should anything electric.
If the catalytic converter becomes clogged or otherwise obstructed, it will have a significant impact on the engine's performance. It will also be an indication of a bigger problem.

You need to get the check engine light code pulled, that's where your troubleshooting begins.
^This

daperez13

Respected
Hello,
We're having several problems. 1st the car radio stopped working, no power, but cigarette lighter etc still works.
As stated before, check for a blown fuse, otherwise, you may have a short.

Next, the car has started occasionally jerking & the check engine light stays on.
My guess would be a misfire. A misfire can be caused by several things (e.g. poor fuel delivery to the cylinders [clogged injector(s) or fuel filter], bad spark plugs/wires, bad ignition coil etc.). When was the last time the car had a full tune-up?

3rd We've hooked up two different readers to the obd-II port & neither would read the car (one was my bros, only a couple years old, the other was a brand new one with bluetooth that sends info to your phone). What could cause all these problems? I need help. This is our only vehicle.
Did either scanner powered on? If they did not, check for continuity between the grounds and then check for voltage on the port. Check all your fuses first.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
One way to tell if the catalytic is clogged is by visually inspecting it after a decent drive or letting the engine warm up for a while, although driving it would be better. Some catalytics can get so clogged that they'll glow red from the heat blockage. If you figure out in any way that its clogged, a simple quick fix is to hammer out the internals and shake them out, with the catalytic removed of course.

I would guess that you might have a damaged wire at the OBD port if neither reader powered on. If thats the case and you cant identify which wire it is then resort to the blink codes. Search for how to do so.

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-reading-check-engine-light-cel-with-code-list.53096/