My 1995 Civic VX

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a Viper 2-way pager / remote start. I don't normally park in poor areas that looks suspicious. If you don't mind me asking, where was your car during the attempted thefts?

My installer keeps telling me to go with a door pop kit so the car is harder to steal. I didn't really think about it too seriously, but I may consider it now. I don't know how comfortable I would be knowing if my key fob died I couldn't get in though. I will have a gps tracker installed too.

I haven't been tracking the fuel that closely, but I just filled up and I got 230 miles and I only needed 7 gallons of gas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right out front of my house in an upper middle class neighborhood.

35 minutes from Camden and 50 minutes from Vineland where Hondas go to die.

But thank fully they did not get it or even get it started, even with taking the cylinder apart.

I went with manual means. Distributor cut off, fuel cutoff, Main ground interruption, trailer boot among others. End of the day a flat bed defeats all of it.. but any screwdriver equipped scumbag isn't getting away with it.

dancam

Registered VIP
I had a hidden switch to cut off power to the coil but never an attempt to steal my car.
Gps tracker is probably your best bet, if your gonna spend money to keep people out youll probably want that because like you said, a flatbed will get it anyway. I think if your car was cheaper you should hide some dynamite somewhere where they wont look and hook it up to a cell signal detonater. If it gets stolen just blow the whole thing up and them. Thats what you call theft deterrent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
End of the day a flat bed defeats all of it.. but any screwdriver equipped scumbag isn't getting away with it.
That's exactly why I suggest a tilt sensor. They're inexpensive and effective.

GearHeadDriver

I'm not exactly worried someone is going to use a flatbed in NJ to steal my car. I generally don't park in questionable areas, etc. I might consider getting a tilt sensor, but at that point I feel like it would be too late :D. I don't have any flashy items on the exterior of the car, so it's not likely someone would want to try and steal my OEM rims. I have always liked the radar field sensor, but they are so darn temperamental! They are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. However, I still like using them.

HeX, I'm still wondering what to do about my MPG. I've maintained the car very well since I've purchased it. I just did an alignment and replaced control arms, bushings, etc. I even did a fresh oil change last week. Are any of the items on the list you linked me not applicable to my model car?

Back on topic.

I am having someone do fiberglass on the upper dash to turn it into a double din. I will also be having my fabricator make a custom cage for the JDM double din lower console to accommodate the relocation of the heater controller. The upper dash should be put back together after the 23rd. I'm very excited to see the finished product.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not exactly worried someone is going to use a flatbed in NJ to steal my car. I generally don't park in questionable areas, etc. I might consider getting a tilt sensor, but at that point I feel like it would be too late :D. I don't have any flashy items on the exterior of the car, so it's not likely someone would want to try and steal my OEM rims. I have always liked the radar field sensor, but they are so darn temperamental! They are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. However, I still like using them.
You might be surprised at how many bone stock looking Civics get stolen, let alone those with new paint jobs as yours will have. The tilt switch signals anytime the car is being lifted past a small degree angle, such as by a tow truck stealing it as well as any type of lift to potentially steal the rims. I know I took about 2 weeks of fiddling around with my proximity sensor to get it set just right.

HeX, I'm still wondering what to do about my MPG. I've maintained the car very well since I've purchased it. I just did an alignment and replaced control arms, bushings, etc. I even did a fresh oil change last week. Are any of the items on the list you linked me not applicable to my model car?
Being that you PMed me about it, just go through my recommendations. Keep maintaining it as best as you can. There just arent enough VXs left on the road with VX engines still in them.

I am having someone do fiberglass on the upper dash to turn it into a double din. I will also be having my fabricator make a custom cage for the JDM double din lower console to accommodate the relocation of the heater controller. The upper dash should be put back together after the 23rd. I'm very excited to see the finished product.
That custom work should be nice.

GearHeadDriver

IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_0025.JPG
Teaser photo of the custom radio and interior =). The only downside to the install was BestBuy had to brace the radio so tightly in the back so it doesn't have any "give" or play". This is to ensure the radio doesn't flex the dash. This means I can't remove the radio unless the entire dash is popped out. It's not that big of a deal. I don't normally change radios often. It's also a benefit for added security :D. Imagine a thief's face when they realize they can't pull the radio :P.

I may end up pulling some of the mat off the floor if I notice that my MPG doesn't improve after servicing the engine, etc. That's another topic though.

The dash will be reinstalled mid December-ish. That's also when the car will be completed with its repaint.

The next custom job is going to be fiberglassing a sub that will be tucked into the corner of the trunk. BestBuy will also be doing that for me. I estimate that will be done around January 2016.

Around the sometime as the custom sub enclosure job, I will be having the rear side liners and tailgate liners replaced with new OEM ones. They will be painted the same flat black as the custom double din radio bezel.

When the lower console, shifter, armrest, etc. is installed, I'll throw up some more pictures!

Once all of these things are done, I'm basically done with changing the car. I'm leaving it alone after this.

Last edited:

GearHeadDriver

FreshPaint.JPG Fresh paint. She's done! I ordered a replacement fender liner. I bought the wrong side. The rear quarter window needs its gasket and tint to match the car, but here she is. The photo is un-doctored, minus the license plate.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can attest to the NVX sound deadener that if you install it properly and firmly, I doubt water leakage could get underneath it because its not a foam deadener.

GearHeadDriver

I'm sorry guys I haven't been posting pictures. These things just take a while to get done. The dash is in the car now! I can get pictures tomorrow. Hopefully there will be enough light. I'll also grab a pic of the double din audio console with the heater controller in it. That piece is not installed yet.

I'm waiting on the gaskets for the rear quarter panel windows. I also ordered better condition door panels that I will be paint matching to the other trim panels (flat black).

I won't be driving the car till February. I am having a clear bra installed on my car =).

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The dash came out looking very nice.
The color, for me, is too deep of a blue.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That looks pretty good. Did you paint the dash with SEM vinyl paint? Thats the best stuff to use, especially for the vinyl portions on the doors.

GearHeadDriver

I don't know. I didn't paint it myself. I only had the lower console and double din dash painted. Everything else is OEM.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
looks good i like the blue.. but the black wheels makes it kinda blaint/ plainish looking. you should do them in white. dash came really nice.

Right out front of my house in an upper middle class neighborhood.

35 minutes from Camden and 50 minutes from Vineland where Hondas go to die.

But thank fully they did not get it or even get it started, even with taking the cylinder apart.

I went with manual means. Distributor cut off, fuel cutoff, Main ground interruption, trailer boot among others. End of the day a flat bed defeats all of it.. but any screwdriver equipped scumbag isn't getting away with it.
damn they tried to take my civic as well broke the seam welds that holds the window frame to the door. but my car is always blocked in by my neighbors work van and my mom RDX. since then i have separate kill switches for everything fuel pump, main power, accessories, fan and etc..yes i also have switches that i have to manually turns on every thing but i put another switch in line as a kill switch when i parking it out in the street other them my town lol

Last edited by a moderator:

GearHeadDriver

I agree with the white wheels. However, I hated the fact that they go dirty so quickly.

By the way, it seems the paint is yet again flaking off on the door jambs. I also don't see primer under the flaking. It looks like I have to raise hell at the bodyshop that did the work.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I agree with the white wheels. However, I hated the fact that they go dirty so quickly.

By the way, it seems the paint is yet again flaking off on the door jambs. I also don't see primer under the flaking. It looks like I have to raise hell at the bodyshop that did the work.
lol that what happens when primer or adhesive promoter itsn't used. yea white does dirty quick but i suaully just clean them when they look decently dirty, i have white wheels on my car

GearHeadDriver

I'll probably end up powder coating them white next year when I have my finances more in order. I'm still putting her back together.

Pictures soon to follow. I anticipate the interior being done by the end of this month. At least that's what I'm aiming for.

Last edited: