My Civic Project: 1998 EX Sedan

Aguilera

Hello everyone.
After about a year and a half of driving a 1994 civic hatchback with a gsr swap, I decided it was time for something new. I wanted something more comfortable with four doors so I could go on with my endeavors with more space and comfort. I picked up a clean title, bone stock 1998 civic sedan with 240k miles for $1077. I took her home, gave her a wash, and slapped on some wheels I had. After a clutch job, an oil pan gasket, an oil change, and a transmission flush, she was more than healthy enough to daily drive and has been for the past 3 months. No check engine light, no smoke, and it hasn't died on me. That being said I have no intentions in putting much money into the stock y8, I'm only interested in swapping the gsr in and upgrading that and the shell.

Here's my list of upgrades so far:
  • B18c1 motor and trans with oem em1 mounts
  • GSR Blades with 205/50 tires
  • GSR Dual bend shifter
  • PLM ramhorn headers
  • Yonaka catback exhaust
    Coming up:
    • Viper 2way Alarm
    • OEM em1 power steering pump and line
    • Integra confetti cloth seats
    • Yonaka or Function and Form Type 1 coilovers?

Thanks for reading.
      I'll most likely be adding to this post as time goes on since I plan on keeping the vehicle throughout college, and maybe even after that.

Here is a photo I took the first day I took her home.
      The ride height may be cringe worthy, but I am back into an ek sedan again and I'm lovin' every second of it.
      IMG_1658.JPG
      IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1650.JPG
      GSR Motor in my hatch. Previous owner cut the valve cover like that. (it needs some love but runs strong!)
      IMG_1048.JPG
      Here's a photo of my hatch in case anyone was wondering.
      IMG_1052.JPG

Got the swap done! It took afternoons and a lot of patience. I got a street tune from a local and shes running healthy with no check engine lights or issues. I've taken her on a 3 hour trip already.

Last edited:

RedDragon96

Respected
Awesome man, looking foward to watching the build, i have also picked up a 96 civic for cheap, $500 running and driving, dont know imports at all. I have been in the 4x4 and street truck scene for a long time. Looking foward to learning. For some reason pics are not showing can anyone else see them.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Welcome to the site and good luck with the build. I cannot see the pictures either.

CivicEx'00

Hello everyone.
After about a year and a half of driving a 1994 civic hatchback with a gsr swap, I decided it was time for something new. I wanted something more comfortable with four doors so I could go on with my endeavors with more space and comfort. I picked up a clean title, bone stock 1998 civic sedan with 240k miles for $1077. I took her home, gave her a wash, and slapped on some wheels I had. After a clutch job, an oil pan gasket, an oil change, and a transmission flush, she was more than healthy enough to daily drive and has been for the past 3 months. No check engine light, no smoke, and it hasn't died on me. That being said I have no intentions in putting much money into the stock y8, I'm only interested in swapping the gsr in and upgrading that and the shell. Now that I've got some money saved up I would really like to swap my gsr motor into this sedan to give it a little more oomph. I have little to no skills when it comes to this kind of stuff but I do have a buddy who does quality work (he'll be doing the swap) and enough ambition to get this thing done.

Here is a photo I took the first day I took her home.
The ride height may be cringe worthy, but I am back into an ek sedan again and I'm lovin' every second of it.

GSR Motor in my hatch. Previous owner cut the valve cover like that. (it needs some love but runs strong!)

So next comes the main reason for this posting.
Being a complete noob to the car scene, I'm unsure of what websites and brands are trusted for their quality. If you have any recommendations for brands and specific parts, please let me know.
Here's my list of wants so far:
  • GSR Swapped in
  • Yonaka Catback exhaust
  • ITR Headers
  • 16x7 Enkei RPF1 205/40 or 205/50?
  • Progress CSII Coilovers 450/350
  • Intake Manifold?
  • Sway bar?
  • LCAs?
  • Camber kit?
Thanks for reading.
I'll most likely be adding to this post as time goes on since I plan on keeping the vehicle throughout college, and maybe even after that.
Yonaka is a great exhaust choice. I have a full catback on my EX and I love it so much. Couldn't get better quality for the buck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Aguilera

Awesome man, looking foward to watching the build, i have also picked up a 96 civic for cheap, $500 running and driving, dont know imports at all. I have been in the 4x4 and street truck scene for a long time. Looking foward to learning. For some reason pics are not showing can anyone else see them.
Thanks for reading my post. Pictures should be fixed.
Congratz on the civic man what do you got planned for her?

Aguilera

Yonaka is a great exhaust choice. I have a full catback on my EX and I love it so much. Couldn't get better quality for the buck

Thanks for reading.
is your car a sedan too? did you have to make any mods or did it bolt up to the stock cat?
I'm concerned because it says its for any 2dr/4dr from 92-00 and I feel like they cant all be the same.

CivicEx'00

Thanks for reading.
is your car a sedan too? did you have to make any mods or did it bolt up to the stock cat?
I'm concerned because it says its for any 2dr/4dr from 92-00 and I feel like they cant all be the same.
My car is a 2 door coupe, and yes believe it or not they're the same exhaust layout. It bolted right into the cat no issue

Aguilera

My car is a 2 door coupe, and yes believe it or not they're the same exhaust layout. It bolted right into the cat no issue

Awesome thanks man. Can't wait until my next day off so i can install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk