My clear coat is coming off?

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here are pics. Sorry for the quality but it's a rough idea of what it is. Right now, the paint that is showing is still good and the clearcoat is flaking off a little every month. I'm sure going to the carwash a few times in the past has helped much and that's my on stupidity. Tell me what you think. This is on the drivers side beside the driver door on the rear quarter panel above the molding.

Holman_00

5+ Year Member
Yea That Will Grow CLEAR NAIL POLISH WELL MAKE IT STOP FOR MONTHS FROM PIELLING

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holman_00 said:
Yea That Will Grow CLEAR NAIL POLISH WELL MAKE IT STOP FOR MONTHS FROM PIELLING
So I put it over the flacking part and the what? I mean, does it really work, sounds a bit silly in my opinion.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow it doesnt look that bad. Mine lools like a big coffie table ring, that is very noticable, on a dark car.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Trbolvrcrx said:
I really need to respray mine. It look uber crappy. Scratches, rock chips, dings, dents.
SAME HERE

IT SUCKSSSSSSSS

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, that's clearcoat damage. The nail polish *might* slow it down, but don't use it as a permanent fix. I'd just look into getting it repaired asap.

Holman_00

5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Yeah, that's clearcoat damage. The nail polish *might* slow it down, but don't use it as a permanent fix. I'd just look into getting it repaired asap.
yea but if u aint got no money thats the way to go for the moment

Holman_00

5+ Year Member
NOFX said:

yea its going to slow it down but if u dont have the money to fixs it then thats the way to go for the time being

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Straight ammonia might run the risk of ruining paint, but I've never seen clearcoat damage from washer fluid (which often has ammonia in it, but watered down). I'm sure it could happen with prolonged and repeated use though (without caring for your paint properly).

If you're afraid of that though, just get the ammonia-free washer fluid instead.

Here's one:
http://www.pakshak.com/1z-anti-insekt-pre-cleaner-1dose.html
washer fluid also contains ethenol and other paint eating chemicals.

Sun is also a major issue with roofs, i usually keep my whole front end, hood, roof, and trunk waxed GOOD to help prevent these exact problems.

And again, comming from a guy that works in a bodyshop and sees estimates all day long... thats going to cost $700-$900 to get it fixed RIGHT.

I mean top notch, wont happen again on that panel type right.... not maaco 24 hours and you have your car back, and it looks good for a year type deal. Plus they'll have to blend the door, the bumper, and the trunk so if there is any difference in the colors, it wont be as noticable. Then wet sanding, buffing, polishing.... its not an easy process.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't even use washer fluid. The only time it sees my car ever is when Jason uses it on it. :x And my car always has lots of wax on it.

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Went to my families local body shop and got an estimate on it. It was kind funny cause at first the guy said it wasn't too bad but estimated it at rougly $400. Not too bad I thought. Said he would just sand it down with some really smooth sandpaper and re clear coat the section. But then as he was walking away he came back and noticied more on the car. Sooner than he saw up close, he noticied little ridges in the paint and this meant one thing, the car has had body work done to it. After looking over it, he concluded saying that the car had been hit before on the side really badly and it had body work done to the entire quarter panel. That's from the taillight to to the door and from the rear side window to the front mirror. Basically, he wanted to do it right and said that if I just got the clear coat done on just that section, there might be areas in the rest of the car that might start bubbling up. So now I'm looking at roughly $1200 for the entire panel on the car to be sanded down and repainted. I really wasn't expecting this and what really pissed me off is that the carfax didn't say a damn thing about the car being hit when i bought it. Damnit.

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
doesnt that just piss you off i dont know about you guys but i actually talk to my car i spend so much money on her but hey .....just save up money but a lip kit if u dont have one now and paint the whole car with the lips and side skirt =D

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Silver Bullet said:
doesnt that just piss you off i dont know about you guys but i actually talk to my car i spend so much money on her but hey .....just save up money but a lip kit if u dont have one now and paint the whole car with the lips and side skirt =D
Yeah, I was pissed driving the whole way home. Thoughts of selling were going through my head but now i'm better and will just have to wait till i get the money saved up. Ya know its funny cause I do talk to my car too and I'm also getting an si lip in the mail someday this week. But yeah, I love my car too much to get rid of her. I saved up to get her and I'm not going to let go for a while.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shaguar47 said:
Yeah, I was pissed driving the whole way home. Thoughts of selling were going through my head but now i'm better and will just have to wait till i get the money saved up. Ya know its funny cause I do talk to my car too and I'm also getting an si lip in the mail someday this week. But yeah, I love my car too much to get rid of her. I saved up to get her and I'm not going to let go for a while.

Dude! I have a dented hood, dented finders, trim starting to come loose, crack in the windsheild, badly rock chipped and clear coat failing paint, huge dent in front of my rear tailight, riding on bobo's (steelies) with bad tie rod ends, and I am not ever gonna sell her.

Gotta love DD.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That really blows. :( Hopefully you can get a decent deal for the work needed if you decide to keep it.

I woudl check around and get other prices and opinions just in case though. This might be kind of difficult since you can't really see the damage done.

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trbolvrcrx said:
Dude! I have a dented hood, dented finders, trim starting to come loose, crack in the windsheild, badly rock chipped and clear coat failing paint, huge dent in front of my rear tailight, riding on bobo's (steelies) with bad tie rod ends, and I am not ever gonna sell her.

Gotta love DD.
I was just pissed at the fact that it turned out to be more and that I never knew the car had been hit before. I know I'm like the 6th owner and so tracking down to exactly what had happened would be difficult. And besides, I'm just your average college kid with little to no money and having something like this comes along, it just makes me wonder how am I gonna do it. Right now I'm better and tought things through and like I said, it'll be a long time till I sell her. If I didn't love my honda's, I wouldn't be continuing on.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i personally wouldnt of let him spend the $400 to "sand the area" and repaint... whatever is CAUSING the clear to peel. is still going to be there if you dont go into the paint/primer and start over... what a n00b.

Also, just kuz the car has paint edges doesnt necessarly mean the car was HIT "bad" like he makes it seem.... it could of been anything, keyed, a shopping car got slammed into it, maybe a rock hit it, maybe a baseball? All of those things could of been cause enough to repaint the car if the paint chipped. Dont stress yourself.

I work at a bodyshop and i deal with s**t like this all day everyday, paint edges simply mean the cars been repainte at one point... it doesnt mean there was "serious damage"... my friend has a 06wrx with paint edges on every jam area, why? it got keyed, all the way around. So the point remains, dont stress.

It shouldnt be more then $1000 to respray that panel, and blend the door. Its roughly (just to throw out general numbers) about $350 a panel, + any misc things that may come up such as dents, paint problems... a good bodyshop wont respray a panel with dents in it, they'll fix um before respraying.

My best advice for now, peel away any "loose" about to fall off pieces of the clear, and wax the s**t out of that car... especially that area. Now that wont STOP it, but it should slow it down considerably.

johno590

f**k thieves
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My paint is doing this too... but it's on my front bumper and my trunk lid