My D17 is losing oil?

LTDirty

My civic loses oil pretty slowly. It's just annoying and i want it fixed. I have to add about a quart or two between oil changes. Every 3-5k miles. I didn't think it was this spot but I guess this is my problem? I noticed this a while back but didn't think anything of it. I wiped the area clean and about a week later it looked like this again. What's the problem here?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Picture is too close for me to identify. You have one that is a little farther back. If you can't figure it out spray it all clean with some brake clean and then put some oil leak detection dye in the case. The colored dye will tell you exactly where it is leaking from. I don't really think you are going to need the dye though, this looks pretty obvious as there is a good amount of oil coming out.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Picture is too close for me to identify. You have one that is a little farther back. If you can't figure it out spray it all clean with some brake clean and then put some oil leak detection dye in the case. The colored dye will tell you exactly where it is leaking from. I don't really think you are going to need the dye though, this looks pretty obvious as there is a good amount of oil coming out.
This.

Also, are you burning oil at all?

LTDirty

This.

Also, are you burning oil at all?
The picture is of the left side of the engine, right below the valve cover. I'll post a further out picture later. && I don't think so. My car doesn't smoke at all.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Looks to be your cam plug seal. Replace it and might as well hit up your other gaskets too.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
It is the cam seal, happens to so many D17's its not funny.... Its a cheap fix and isn't difficult at all!

LTDirty

Thanks guys! Well I got the seal and I'll be replacing it in a few hours. I'll let you know how it does!