My DIY City Lights w/OEM Headlights 5th Gen.

SMooTHn

5+ Year Member
I've always wanted city lights, but didnt want to buy JDM lights just to have another set of headlights in my garage would be pointless. So I made my own.

Here it is after install, still need to put my bummper and corners on.

What I used:
USDM Head lights
Saab Side markers
Heavy duty Scissors (or something similar)
Dremel
Silicone

First I had to find a way to mount light sockets into the headlight housing. I have some side markers I picked up from the junkyard and found my donors for this project.

Now as you can see I cut out what I needed from the side marker to mount the light socket in the head light housing.

Time to chop that sucka up

After you chop it up it should look like this

Sand that b***h down smooth so its not so bulky (you can see in the previous pics I already sanded down the first one)

(This step is optional) I made the socket mount shorter to give it more light output inside the head light housing.

Here is the difference of the bulb exposure.
Before:

After:

Then I used my Dremel and drilled holes in each till I could fit the custom socket mount I made into them. (Note: After drilling I had to wash the head light out cause of all the shaving inside the housing.)

Test fitted

After I test fitted it it was time to seal them up

Right now I am letting the sealant dry. Here is a pic of the light socket used for the side markers.

And here is how it will go in once I have it installed.

I am going to wire my city lights up to my high beam switch since my low beam is using a PnP HID kit. Also want to do it this way so I can turn on my parking lights and just flip on my highs if I want to show my city lights, plus whats the point on having the city lights on when I got my HIDs shining thru, Its just a waste of energy and could kill my little 194 bulb.

This is just my experiment and hopefully this will help others wanting city lights. I might show a diagram of how to hook up the city lights differently if i have time, or just ask me and I will try to help you out the best I can.

Time for me to smoke a bowl! :smoke:

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol thats pretty neat

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice write up. i just posted a thread about city lights. good method.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
uh to me it looks just like you would have your headligts on..I cant tell lol. but non the less good work :thumbup:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks great man..! First time seeing it done like that..!

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Why didnt you use the sockets from the license plate lights? Those are the same ones they use in the Password: JDM kits and it probably would have been a little less work. Not hating, just letting you know..

..Looks great though, looks like mine (see sig) :thumbup:

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lisence plate? isnt it illegal to not have those? if not. i might just go do some cutting tomorrow!!!!!

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My Contribution:

BTW, great innovation props to the OP! Thats pretty cool that you came up with it like that.

SMooTHn

5+ Year Member
lisence plate? isnt it illegal to not have those? if not. i might just go do some cutting tomorrow!!!!!
He meant instead of me using Saab sides I coulda used License plate sockets from other hondas...

The reason I did it like this was so all i had to do was make a drill hole big enough to fit the socket in there... And it kinda more secure as oppose to having it mounted on a curved area and moisture might seep thru...