My Ej9 Project

EJ9M

So this is my Ej9 project, my second car, i had a green 1997 1.5 civic but it was sloppy, scruffy and made extremely loud squeaks whenever i turned the wheel, it was a proper turd, So i bought this 1997 1.4i ej9 from a salvage auction for £220 and slowly restored it.

this is the car when i first got it home

the interior was immaculate and with 57k on the clock the engine started and drove great, amazingly the only damage to the mechanics of the car was a busted radiator, apart from the everything else is great.

now it was on to finding replacement parts, i needed new front end frame work aswell as a new bumper, bonnet, wings and radiator but luckily another ej9 in the same colour popped up in a salvage auction not too far away for £220 so i grabbed that, this one only had rear panel damage and the engine was at 150k so it was destined for scrap.

i dont have any photos of this next bit, i didn't really have time to be taking photos of it. to repair the frame work, all the front end parts were taken off both cars as well as the fuel tanks, the front frame work on the good car was chopped of and thrown into the scrap pile and the frame from the parts car was welded on, we used filler and aerosol paint to make it look a bit neater. whilst the car was up and bare some lowering springs went on.

Now it was just a case of refitting and making sure all the parts fitted properly, amazingly the front wings didn't need replacing.

this was the car after the repair.

after this it was time to go for a 'VIC' test to check the repair is safe and an MOT test and it passed both, the MOT inspector pointed out the the whole exhaust system had been recently replaced and that it was a more modern system. the drives great, feels slightly faster than my old 1.5 and handles great, you can defiantly tell the exhaust system is new and it give a real nice throaty sound but at low revs its very quiet so its also very comfortable on the long journeys.

Next up was jap plates and alloy wheels.
like the car itself the alloys were pretty rough when i bought them for £130 but they were a good deal and all 4 tyers are good, it took my a while to get round to refurbishing the alloys but they didn't take long to do, i rubbed down the major damage to the outer rims then put them on the car with one wheel jacked up and just left the car running in 2nd gear so the wheel spun and sanded down the outer rims staring with a course paper then got finer and finer to get a good finish. once the edges were done they were masked of and the centers were painted black and lacquered, i decided to polish the outer rim instead of lacquer it because it looks smarter, here's the before during and after pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fixed the img codes. FYI, you need to post the "direct link" code into the img tags. Pics won't show when you post the url links into the img tags like you had.

Also, thread moved to the proper section. Please keep the tech section for tech questions. :thumbs up