My Modding Timeline/History (Photos)

bobby2552

Respected
Hey all, just figured I'd make a thread for anybody who wants to see my mods. If you have feedback or questions, fire away!! Not all mods have photos. Without further ado:

Mods:
Footwell (Courtesy) lighting
Gauge lights

Radio
Happy LEDs (front)

HIDs

Reverse lights

RFID Unlock
Dome lights
In-hood lights

Trunk lights

Turn signal

Tachometer wire

Sent from my Nexus 6P | 1999 Honda Civic DX Sedan

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man, you've gone LED crazy! How about some daylight pics of this lightning bug? Also, what does RFID stand for?

bobby2552

Respected
Man, you've gone LED crazy! How about some daylight pics of this lightning bug? Also, what does RFID stand for?
I've got a thing for LEDs =) They're a lot of fun =) And I'll get some soon.
RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. Its the technology that lets you swipe a card past a reader to unlock a door. Anway, that's how I unlock my car (with a car in my phone case). I am a soon-to-be Computer Science major, so I have to integrate a little bit of geek/nerd into my car. Thanks for the interest!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a thing for LEDs =) They're a lot of fun =) And I'll get some soon.
RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. Its the technology that lets you swipe a card past a reader to unlock a door. Anway, that's how I unlock my car (with a car in my phone case). I am a soon-to-be Computer Science major, so I have to integrate a little bit of geek/nerd into my car. Thanks for the interest!
That's pretty cool. I'd like to see how that's accomplished on your car, if sharing so isn't a security issue for you.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Awesome, I've never even heard of RFID being used for car door purposes. I dig it.

bobby2552

Respected
That's pretty cool. I'd like to see how that's accomplished on your car, if sharing so isn't a security issue for you.
Not really. The picture is of the card I keep behind my license in my phone case. I'll make a video or a more in depth description soon.

bobby2552

Respected
Ok all, here is how I went about installing the RFID reader system. First I ordered a RFID reader/card off of Amazon, along with an arduino. An arduino is a GREAT way for beginners to learn to code while also working with some electronics, and can also be used for much much cooler stuff, for example, this past Christmas, I turned out house into a light show. Regardless though, I connected those, and wrote some code for it. If you would like to see the code, let me know. After that, I connected some of the digital outputs of the arduino to relays. As you may already know, relays use a very small current/voltage to control a potentially much larger one. That completed, I 'hacked' into my car's keyfob unlock module thingy (behind the driver's side kick panel), with some help from some diagrams I found on Alldata. Our school has a subscription to it, so it comes in very handy for wiring things and the like. However, most, if not all of this information can be found in your car's service manual. I hope that's enough detail. Let me know if that was confusing, and I'll try to clear it up. I'll probably post a video tutorial type thing in the next few weeks, so keep an eye out if you are interested in how I did it.

West Dylan

Respected
Ok all, here is how I went about installing the RFID reader system. First I ordered a RFID reader/card off of Amazon, along with an arduino. An arduino is a GREAT way for beginners to learn to code while also working with some electronics, and can also be used for much much cooler stuff, for example, this past Christmas, I turned out house into a light show. Regardless though, I connected those, and wrote some code for it. If you would like to see the code, let me know. After that, I connected some of the digital outputs of the arduino to relays. As you may already know, relays use a very small current/voltage to control a potentially much larger one. That completed, I 'hacked' into my car's keyfob unlock module thingy (behind the driver's side kick panel), with some help from some diagrams I found on Alldata. Our school has a subscription to it, so it comes in very handy for wiring things and the like. However, most, if not all of this information can be found in your car's service manual. I hope that's enough detail. Let me know if that was confusing, and I'll try to clear it up. I'll probably post a video tutorial type thing in the next few weeks, so keep an eye out if you are interested in how I did it.
That's very interesting, I've never seen anyone implement it into their car before, good job in doing so. Unfortunately I don't have keyless entry in my car, so I assume something like this wouldn't work for me.

bobby2552

Respected
That's very interesting, I've never seen anyone implement it into their car before, good job in doing so. Unfortunately I don't have keyless entry in my car, so I assume something like this wouldn't work for me.
You could find a way I'm sure, but it probably b wouldn't be as easy.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I am very interested how you integrated the RFID into your locking mechanism as well.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Did you read my previous post? If I was unclear about something, let me know and I'll clarify.

I had my response typed up and had not hit the POST REPLY button until today so technically you had not typed up your answer when I originally wanted a response.

bobby2552

Respected
I had my response typed up and had not hit the POST REPLY button until today so technically you had not typed up your answer when I originally wanted a response.
Ah I see. It's all good man. As I said earlier, if you have questions, ask away.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ah I see. It's all good man. As I said earlier, if you have questions, ask away.

post the code.

bobby2552

Respected
Code:
#include <EEPROM.h>     // We are going to read and write PICC's UIDs from/to EEPROM
#include <SPI.h>        // RC522 Module uses SPI protocol
#include <MFRC522.h>    // Library for Mifare RC522 Devices

#define SS_PIN 10
#define RST_PIN 9

byte storedCard[4] = {123, 456, 789, 012};        // Stores an ID read from EEPROM - I CHANGED THIS FOR SECURITY PURPOSES.
byte readCard[4];        // Stores scanned ID read from RFID Module
byte masterCard[4];
MFRC522 mfrc522(SS_PIN, RST_PIN);    // Create MFRC522 instance.

void setup() {

pinMode(6, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(7, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(8, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(6, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(7, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(8, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);

//Protocol Configuration
  Serial.begin(9600);    // Initialize serial communications with PC
  SPI.begin();           // MFRC522 Hardware uses SPI protocol
  mfrc522.PCD_Init();    // Initialize MFRC522 Hardware
  //If you set Antenna Gain to Max it will increase reading distance
  mfrc522.PCD_SetAntennaGain(mfrc522.RxGain_max);
}

///////////////////////////////////////// Main Loop ///////////////////////////////////
void loop () {
  if ( ! mfrc522.PICC_IsNewCardPresent()) { //If a new PICC placed to RFID reader continue
    return;
  }
  if ( ! mfrc522.PICC_ReadCardSerial()) {   //Since a PICC placed get Serial and continue
    return;
  }
  for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
    readCard[I] = mfrc522.uid.uidByte[I];
  }
  mfrc522.PICC_HaltA();
  if (checkTwo(readCard, storedCard)) {
    unlock();
    delay(10000);
    lock();
    software_Reset();
  }
}

boolean checkTwo ( byte a[], byte b[] ) {
  boolean match;
  if ( a[0] != NULL )             // Make sure there is something in the array first
    match = true;             // Assume they match at first
  for ( int k = 0; k < 4; k++ ) {     // Loop 4 times
    if ( a[k] != b[k] )         // IF a != b then set match = false, one fails, all fail
      match = false;
  }
  return match;
}

void lock() {
  Serial.println("Lock");
  digitalWrite(6, LOW);
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(6, HIGH);
}

void unlock() {
  Serial.println("Unlock");
  digitalWrite(7, LOW);
  digitalWrite(8, LOW);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(8, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(7, HIGH);
}

void software_Reset() // Restarts program from beginning but does not reset the peripherals and registers
{
   asm volatile ("  jmp 0");
}

Last edited by a moderator:
man im feeling those red floor light's big time i cant wait till my red LED dome light show's up and then after seeing your stuff im going for red floor light's for sure

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Code:
#include <EEPROM.h>     // We are going to read and write PICC's UIDs from/to EEPROM
#include <SPI.h>        // RC522 Module uses SPI protocol
#include <MFRC522.h>    // Library for Mifare RC522 Devices

#define SS_PIN 10
#define RST_PIN 9

byte storedCard[4] = {123, 456, 789, 012};        // Stores an ID read from EEPROM - I CHANGED THIS FOR SECURITY PURPOSES.
byte readCard[4];        // Stores scanned ID read from RFID Module
byte masterCard[4];
MFRC522 mfrc522(SS_PIN, RST_PIN);    // Create MFRC522 instance.

void setup() {

pinMode(6, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(7, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(8, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(6, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(7, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(8, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);

//Protocol Configuration
  Serial.begin(9600);    // Initialize serial communications with PC
  SPI.begin();           // MFRC522 Hardware uses SPI protocol
  mfrc522.PCD_Init();    // Initialize MFRC522 Hardware
  //If you set Antenna Gain to Max it will increase reading distance
  mfrc522.PCD_SetAntennaGain(mfrc522.RxGain_max);
}

///////////////////////////////////////// Main Loop ///////////////////////////////////
void loop () {
  if ( ! mfrc522.PICC_IsNewCardPresent()) { //If a new PICC placed to RFID reader continue
    return;
  }
  if ( ! mfrc522.PICC_ReadCardSerial()) {   //Since a PICC placed get Serial and continue
    return;
  }
  for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
    readCard[I] = mfrc522.uid.uidByte[I];
  }
  mfrc522.PICC_HaltA();
  if (checkTwo(readCard, storedCard)) {
    unlock();
    delay(10000);
    lock();
    software_Reset();
  }
}

boolean checkTwo ( byte a[], byte b[] ) {
  boolean match;
  if ( a[0] != NULL )             // Make sure there is something in the array first
    match = true;             // Assume they match at first
  for ( int k = 0; k < 4; k++ ) {     // Loop 4 times
    if ( a[k] != b[k] )         // IF a != b then set match = false, one fails, all fail
      match = false;
  }
  return match;
}

void lock() {
  Serial.println("Lock");
  digitalWrite(6, LOW);
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(6, HIGH);
}

void unlock() {
  Serial.println("Unlock");
  digitalWrite(7, LOW);
  digitalWrite(8, LOW);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(8, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(7, HIGH);
}

void software_Reset() // Restarts program from beginning but does not reset the peripherals and registers
{
asm volatile ("  jmp 0");
}
[/I][/I]
Awesome, thanks for sharing. PS, I editied your post and put it inside [code ] brackets. This will retain your formatting & indentation. :thumbs up