my new DD, 1998 lx auto

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey all.
Just bought a used dd today. 1998 lx auto 161xxx miles.
Anyway, I'm running into this frustrating issue. I supposed due to, age and frequent opening and stretchin,g the floor harness on the driver side decided to crapped out. 1 window work (rear pass side), power lock work. But that's it. Driver switch to control windows and side mirror adjustment does not.
Here is the carnage. I already print out the harness pin out.
But, I can't seem to find a replacement plug online anywhere. What are my option at this moment?

As you can see, its pretty f@cked. Soldering will be my next move. But I can't seem to de-pin the damn wires. If I can find that plug with pig tail, I will be golden. Easier to solder rather then repinning.

Any advice?

TIA

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Had the same thing happen on my sedan. Got the whole harness from a car in a local junk yard for next to nothing. Just took some time to get it all out, what I didn't need I just cut off and left it there.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As Lethal6 said, hunt at a junkyard. My added suggestion is to take a long knife, blade or cutter so you can cut as far back as possible on the wiring to ensure your splicing is made easier with added slack.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's my next search. Coming from a tiny town, we are extremely limited. Nearest junkyard is bout 20miles. I already email them to see if they have even these year for theses car in their lot. I will have to search around.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Would this idea be extreme, if?
If, I extend the wires, soldered, then t-tap onto the harness inside the door? Of course there would be grommet on the door side to prevent water getting in. But this is just brain storming. In the case I couldn't find replacement plug with long pig tail..

If anyone going to the junkyard in your area, can you let me know? Maybe you can help me our.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ill try to keep you in mind the next time I go to a junkyard, which may be this week.

vincentwallen

Respected
I'll check next time i go as well, don't know when that will be though. Just keep us posted on what you do. IMO t taps would be my last resort. From what i hear they tend to have a very inconsistent connection

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I found 2 junkyards that are open Sundays. I will go there this weekend. Will update if I am successful.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Question.
The wiper lever switch. When pull down the wiper will come on at max speed.
It supposed to spring back up to normal position when you let go of the lever, correct?
Or is it supposed to stay down? I think mine may be broken. It does not swing up when let go. Stuck in the down position and wipers will keep going.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update.
Just left the 2nd junkyard. Success today. Found what I needed at both places.

Had to cut the harness because door were shut tight.
Will update once I put everything back together.

Also, I will be doing a little tune up too with these parts.

Not pictured are pureone oil filter and Mobil 1 10w30 oil. Spark plugs are on its way. It currently has the NGK platinum plugs. I may just run those for awhile.

Oil pan gasket need changing. Its leaking.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It is finished. Everything works now, except passenger side window. Lock work. All other windows work.. I'm going to wait til next spring to fix the passenger side harness. I'm sure its just as bad as the drivers.

daperez13

Respected
I'm impressed. People can use your drive and motivation to get their car back to working order. You posted your problem, you asked for assurance on some of your own ideas and also asked for help. In the end, you got your ass up, did the research and fix it yourself. That's the way it's done!

Reactions: HeX

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks man.
I like my vehicle to be in great condition. Minimum to problem free. I still have couple small kinks that need to get straighten out. But due to cold weather, i am being pushed back til warmer season. But for now, its good to go.

daperez13

Respected
I also forgot to mention that you included good, quality pics with your post. A lot of people out there expect the rest of the world to be mind readers. I like the "holy" gloves, they never fail to tear, lol.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This afternoon i "attempt" to fix the passenger side window, it does not roll down. Took the fender off and found 1 broken wire. Come to find out, it's not even the wire that power the window. But i fixed the broken wire anyway.. Whatever it power, now it will work i guess. Anyway, the window still dont work. Test voltage at the main bundle harness, got 12v. Then test at switch, 12v.. Unplug harness to window regulator, applied straigt power from battery to regulator. NOTHING. NO NOISE. NADA. NO MOVEMENT. Damn it!!!!!!
So, i think i need new regulator.. *sigh*
Was hoping for easy fix. Gotta run back to the junkyard again sometime. Anyway, here are some photos for your enjoyment. Not that you care but, oh well.

I used heatshrink with adhesive lining to fix the fray wires, wasnt broken but needed some securing..

Will come back in the future with update if i ever get a chance to fix the window issue.

Until then.
Carry On

daperez13

Respected
Yeah, sounds like the motor went bad. When you get the other one, re-grease the regulator on all the moving joints with some general purpose grease. It will make it operate a lot smoother and stress the motor out less. Keep us posted.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Time for some update.
Still waiting for better opportunity to do the window.
But, i did manage to do some other things i wanted.

Swap out clust and climate control leds. So much better. I can see now.
Relocate the aftermarket HU to the cup holder space. While keeping the oem radio up top for keyless entry. Program new remote, works great.

Replaced dome light with a spare leds board i had laying around. Very bright.

Swapping out spark plugs later. Platinum to copper, oem rating.

Thats all for now.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What better way to spend on a rainy Sunday?
Vacuum. Yes, indeed. Vacuum with a shop vac.
Since the weather is horrible I decided the interior needed a good vacuum from front to back. Took the seats out, took out the center console. Some idiot spilled coke/pop drink some long time ago and it was still sticky. It got inside the shifter plate and under the shift cable cavity. Nasty stuff.

Any who, wiped everything down with cleaner. Replaced the burned out bulb for the shifter light.
Vacuum everything, even the damn nasty trunk..

Lastly, clean out the door light switches. Its been sticky lately. Sometime it come on when door open, sometime it won't...

Took all 4 off. Sprayed with crc electrical connector cleaner. Let dry, reinstall. No more problem..