ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The insulation in the house is "mos likely" made with asbestos. You can't know until you get it tested. But it's called friable, meaning that you can distort the form form of what it's in, it becomes airborn. Some of the tile that you had was 9x9 right? If so 90% of that stuff has it too, old sheet rock and the stuff used ie tape mud and what not have class 2 which is not as dangerous but still has an inharent danger. We can't know anything for sure until testing is done but homes made before 1980 have to be assumed to contain some form of asbestos. If you had "popcorn" celings, that too had a lot of dangerous class one. I didn't see that but wanted to give a member a heads up.
So should I take out the like 4 inches of current insulation in the attic when I add more sometime in the next year.? What precautions other than a mask should be taken?

Yeah, the tile was 9x9 but I took it out mostly as whole pieces. Plus I think it was redone after the house was built due to previous water damage and sub-floor repairs.

I don't have popcorn ceilings but it is that rolled plaster design s**t. I can't stand it. I don't know if it was ever painted or the paint was just that shitty but I had to use 2 coats on the ceiling for full coverage. First coat was just absorbing into the drywall.

Thanks for the heads up. I will start using a mask when I do demo work.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you need to use a mask approved for asbestos removal. to be honest, at least in california, you have to have a certified company remove all asbestos. as a supervisor i can not tell you how to remove it not in the legal way, but i will tell you the stuff in the attic is the main concern. was there black or yellow mastic glue under the tile when you pulled it up? there is a lot of equipment that needs to be used to take it out, not to mention a dump probably wont take the ACM asbestos containing material. material that can be crushed in your hands, is the stuff that can give you all sorts of cancer/disease issues. however there is a more positive side, if you dont disturb the stuff your "ok", most people like to cover the old insulation with new high efficiency stuff.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks man. There was no glue under the tile what so ever, just mortar. Guess I will just leave the old insulation up there and try not to disturb it in the process of putting the new s**t in.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Today's progress. Note I did this hungover as s**t.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Today's progress. So far there is a total of 13 hrs of tiling done. have about another 4 on the shower head and faucet wall then another 3 hrs of grouting. Total for tiling the shower, 20 hrs...

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Vanity, top, back and side splash, faucet and plumbing done. Tomorrow is baseboards and toilet.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks guys. My dad is the one with the knowledge and skill, not me.

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WHen you get that new toilet in let me know so i can break it in properly!

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I HAZ FURNITURE!

And playing COD drinking a beer not even 10 hrs after it was delivered. And of course it was on surround sound!

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn its all fresh! You gonna keep the tags on like its some new Jordans?

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn its all fresh! You gonna keep the tags on like its some new Jordans?
Thanks man. LOL. About those tags... I have been in the house almost 3 months and the tags are still there.

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I actually just found this thread and I gotta say the house is looking tits! Its pretty sweet doing the stuff yourself and getting to learn it. I did hardwoods in my living room last summer and granite tiled counter tops, neither of which I had any experience with but now I've got a couple new skills in my back pocket. Its the next step after the car!

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I actually just found this thread and I gotta say the house is looking t***! Its pretty sweet doing the stuff yourself and getting to learn it. I did hardwoods in my living room last summer and granite tiled counter tops, neither of which I had any experience with but now I've got a couple new skills in my back pocket. Its the next step after the car!
Its definitely a great learning experience. I had a little background but not a whole lot. My dad basically showed me how to get something started and let me run with it. He did a lot of the finishing touches but I did the majority of the work. There is always something new to learn when owning a house.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Decided to mess around with the camera a bit. New comforter on the master bed and a new lamp in the family room.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice crib man. Is that a platform bed? Those are the ONLY way to go. I got one in my room.