Mysterious coolant leak...Need some help PLEASE.

Garyd

Ok, I own a 2003 Civic ex. I purchased the car back in October 2012 for 6K from my wifes aunt with 78K. The car was basically a grocery getter.

Back in November 2012, I had the Honda dealer replace the timing belt as preventive maintenance. They also replaced the water pump and flushed the system.

In January 2013 I noticed a small cup size coolant leak on the floor located in the front (under the expansion tank). I also noticed the bottom frame where the radiator sits was wet with coolant. Plus the car never had any pick up at all. Being this is my first civic, I thought the pick up was normal. So I took the car back to the dealer (since they just did the timing belt and water pump). They could not find the leak at all.

They did a compression test and found that it was losing compression in cylinder 1. I was told that the head gasket was starting to go. I told them to replace it and they did. Once I picked the car up and drove it around for a little over a week, no more leak.

Just a few days ago it started leaking again in the same spot. The dealer checked the complete cooling system, hoses, expansion tank, radiator (used a pressure tester) and they said they could not find the leak. They ran the car all day and still could not locate it. They said that the radiator cap looked bad (gasket not torn) so they replaced it.

Once again, I have the same coolant leak, in the same spot. The car doesn't overheat., gauge stays the same, does not smoke, runs normal. I am confused as to what is causing this leak....any input is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long details. :???: Can it actually be residual from when they drained the coolant??

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
That's possible, but seems like that would be a lot. Do they seem like a reputable dealer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
If you can get a video if it only happens for you, then they can see where it is coming from!, also does it happen at a specific temperature ( outside)?

Garyd

That's possible, but seems like that would be a lot. Do they seem like a reputable dealer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
The dealer seems to be reputable. I have only heard good things about them.

Garyd

If you can get a video if it only happens for you, then they can see where it is coming from!, also does it happen at a specific temperature ( outside)?
thats a good idea, plus I never thought about the weather conditions when it happens. Must investigate further.