Need advice on rust repair

schen028

Recently bought this Civic a few weeks ago. Looking to do some restoration but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

The rust hole is minimal from what i can see but it might be worse after the panel is cut out.

Based off these pics, would you say the car is worth saving?

No trunk rust

Driver side is clean

Underbody is very clean too

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The body appears pretty good, but these pictures dont really show much detail. Are there any other spots of slight rust or rust bubbles beneath the paint? Also, is that rust or dirt at the bottom corner of the passenger door? If the engine is sound with reasonable mileage, the interior is clean, and there are no notable mechanic or electrical issues, then this car is definitely worth it. At worse, that rusted panel may actually affect roughly a 6 inch diameter, which isnt much different than the work you need to put in for that one spot anyways. Solid unmolested hatches are hard to come buy so hatch lovers like myself will appreciate another being babied out there.

schen028

The body appears pretty good, but these pictures dont really show much detail. Are there any other spots of slight rust or rust bubbles beneath the paint? Also, is that rust or dirt at the bottom corner of the passenger door? If the engine is sound with reasonable mileage, the interior is clean, and there are no notable mechanic or electrical issues, then this car is definitely worth it. At worse, that rusted panel may actually affect roughly a 6 inch diameter, which isnt much different than the work you need to put in for that one spot anyways. Solid unmolested hatches are hard to come buy so hatch lovers like myself will appreciate another being babied out there.
No rust bubbling and that is just dirt on the passenger door. Only problem with it is the blinkers don't reset after completing a turn so i have to manually remember to turn them off.

It's got 136k miles. Removed the interior pieces and there is no rust forming inside the body.