Need help - buying a 4th gen Civic Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaYdz

4wd Hoonda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They came out FWD or RT-4WD.... not rear wheel.. lol
They had 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 engines (d series).
The 4th gen shuttle (or otherwise knowen as the Civic Pro) was made from 88-94 (yes, it ran longer than the other 4th gen models).
I have one, they are pretty much the same weight as the 4th gen Si sedan...

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
4th gen si sedan, never heard of those, but i guess it's possible it other countries.

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought it was the shuttle, but you guys were right, it was the Civic Wagon. Parents never told me the name, just what it looked like. So I did searches on the shape, and came up with the shuttle. Either way, it is the Wagon.

Due to stupid car insurance, though, I no longer get the 98 hatchback. I officially own the 89 PoS wagon, lol. Front-wheel drive, too. The brakes are s**t. Suspension is horrible. It corners like a b***h.

And I drive it to school now; and it should be snowing soon.

That car is going to suck ass for Minnesota winters, lol. I need to replace breaks and suspension. Change tires, as they are shot too.

And the parents paid a G for that car. Oi. My friends could not believe it. Oh well, a car is a car. I just wish I could mod the damn thing. I can't find any body kits or things like that for it online, though. I do have to admit, a pimped-out Civic wagon would be awesome as hell.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
LOL, damn you got hosed, well good luck with it anyways.post pics too, LMAO.

gents97civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why dont ur parents put u as primary on the wagon and just let u drive the hatch

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gents97civ said:
why dont ur parents put u as primary on the wagon and just let u drive the hatch
Yeah, I told them that they can do that. But they still won't let me drive the hatchet to school. Instead I get the tin-can deathtrap. Yay for I.

Oh well, it can't be THAT bad to drive it on the freeway when it is snowing, or on the other path to my college, a street that is not a snow-plow priority. yay!

Maybe I should make out my will...

Either way, I still want to mod the damn thing, but at this point all I could do is upgrade the interior. And what is the point of that when the exterior looks like s**t? Lol. I will get some pics as soon as I can.

I used to drive around town blaring the music with my shades on. Doing that in this car would get me shot, where I live, lol...Oh well...

Did I mention when I have the bass on the car shakes uncontrollably, becomes unstable, and makes a really, REALLY weird noice? I hate it with a passion, lol...anyway...yeah. Pics soon.

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, the pics will take a few days to get developed. Just took them this morning, and will be turning them in later int he day. Until then, here is a very graphic description of the car right now. I named it Pos. I am sure you will be able to see why.

The brakes are complete s**t. It corners like a b***h. The car itself feels completely unstable. The steering locks up sometimes when making 90-degree turns. The transmission is apparetly in not that great of shape, as shifting up and down creates problems, especially when breaking. The suspension is in horrible shape. There is a little rust, but not that much, and I don't really care about that at this point. The sound system is horrible; the speakers are shot (I undid the plates and took the speakers out to inspect them), and it looks like one of the previous owners blew them to s**t; turning the bass on makes the entire car shake uncontrollably as well as makes a very unpleasant sound. And going over the slightest bump makes the CD player skip. The seatbelts are messed up. Interior is pretty dirty. The driver-side front door is about to literally fall off, and makes very unpleasant noices when opened or closes, and cannot be locked from the inside.

You have to wonder just WHY we are the 5th owner of Pos. On average, what is that, there was a new owner every 3.75 years, not counting us. That is just sad.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
sounds like a real fixer uper, hope ya got deep pockets.

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Deep pockets? I go to a 25k/year college, bro, lol. No job. No high school diploma. Nein. Once I saw the car after my parents bought it, and they bought it fast without asking me about it...Jesus Christ I immediately told them that the basic repairs to make me feel safe while driving it would be 1. More than the car was worth. And 2. More than they had paid for it. With shitty brakes, it is certainly going to be an interesting drive to school when snow flies. ABS would be nice, too.

HaYdz

4wd Hoonda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Musta got a dud...

You musta got a real shitty one dude, mine rocks!
All-round coil over shock, brakes like a dream, i can even beat a holden commie through the corners! (5.0 V8!)... seriously dood... these things are actually pretty cool cars.

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HaYdz said:
You musta got a real shitty one dude, mine rocks!
All-round coil over shock, brakes like a dream, i can even beat a holden commie through the corners! (5.0 V8!)... seriously dood... these things are actually pretty cool cars.
Maybe it was a good car at one point, but the previous 4 owners did not take good care of it at all. Seriously.

But hey, just out of curiosity, what mods could be done for it, if any come to mind? Performance wise, and show-wise? Just curios.

HaYdz

4wd Hoonda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4th gen civic...

Its pretty much just a regular 4th gen civic... from the research i'm doing, the rear shocks are pretty much the only point of concern.. Apparently you can fit on shocks from 5th gen hatchs, and they can act as shortened shocks for the wagon... Havn't tried it yet though..
The one i'm talking about also has a D15B3 engine, so obviously its a good plce to start with a swap, following the same swap guidelines as a regular hatch, pretty much. Your engine code should be on a flat bit of the block, at the front of your block, right where the engine and box are bolted together (to the left of the exhust maifold).

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HaYdz said:
Its pretty much just a regular 4th gen civic... from the research i'm doing, the rear shocks are pretty much the only point of concern.. Apparently you can fit on shocks from 5th gen hatchs, and they can act as shortened shocks for the wagon... Havn't tried it yet though..
The one i'm talking about also has a D15B3 engine, so obviously its a good plce to start with a swap, following the same swap guidelines as a regular hatch, pretty much. Your engine code should be on a flat bit of the block, at the front of your block, right where the engine and box are bolted together (to the left of the exhust maifold).
I will have the pics either by later tonight, or by tomorrow. Just to let you guys know.

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No pics...the place where I get them developed "lost" my pictures. Oh well...free coupons for I.

More news: windshield wipers literally fell off, and the hatch won't stay open, which I learned after letting it go, and bending forward to pick up my new computer, then getting a rather large gash in the back of my skull. Ah, yessiree, I sure feel safe around that car. Did I mention the passenger seatbelt doesn't buckle? Yay for family safety...

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man that sucks that you got a crappy one. My first cas was an '86 Civic Wagovan. Even for carburated that thing ripped along pretty good. It was charcoal grey and was in mint condition (passed on to me from the parents who keep their cars pristine). I wish I had pictures. After putting on performance rims and rubber, that thing handled like it was on rails believe it or not. I still miss the car. I got all nostalgic after I was reading the "Draggin Wagin" project in Honda Tuning.

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Crappy is right. I wish that I had the cash to do the basic repairs on that thing. The previous owners did not take good care of it at all. Every part of that car has at least one problem: audio, steering, motor, tranny, exhaust, doors, safety parts, suspension, etc. There are so many things wrong with that car is insane.

They paid a G for it. I could have gotten myself a Nissan 300ZX a few blocks down from my house for the same price. And in better condition.

Parents these days. Really.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
parents these days eh, hell i wish my parent would have bought me a car, hell i had to bust my ass in high school to afford a car, so after school i was straight to work at a job i didn't even like, parent, humm!

Silvertooth

The Apprentice
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aye, but I think you possibly assume I am a stuck-up kid who wants mommy and daddy to buy everything for him. Exact opposite, in fact, whether or not you believe it. That is just what I think. Honestly, I keep a notebook where I write down all the tangible expenses they pay for me, such as gifts, the car, gas, things like that, in hopes that one day I can repay them everything they did for me, and more.

I am not pissed that my parents bought me a car; nein, I greatly appreciate that. I am simply pissed that the dollar amount it is going to take to make me feel safe driving that thing is larger than the car is worth. The money could have been better spent, instead of just rushing into buying it. That is all I am saying. Trust me, I can appreciate the fact that my parents bought me a vehicle to use. But...it should have been more carefully thought out.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
not calling ya a mammas boy trust me, if ya were they'd have bought you a better car that was already hooked up, that's the kinda people that piss me off, i just wish my parents would've bought me my first car so i could've drove myself to work, possibly a better place to had work for, i ya see what i'm sayin, so that way i could have bought a better car eventually, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.