need help with motor idea

brian99ek

i got a 99 civic dx hatchback non vtec motor was blowed up what is a good one to put in it or would it be good to rebuild with skunks2 inernals ...car will be a dd cruising around town and some streetlight to streetlight pulls

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hope you mean it has a blown engine because if it blew up in the car then youll need more than just an engine. What exactly is damaged in the engine, and what engibe & tranny is in there? Suggesting internal upgrades cant be done without knowing the extent of the damage.

Last edited:

denisstranjina203

What you could do is a b20 swap or what they call LS swap. Any of the B series engine are good. Some are hard to find and when you do you have to pay up. What I would suggest doing as I am going to do myself. Is simply rebuild a d16 SOHC and run boost. You can do forged internals and all and do like 12 pounds of boost or you can run a stock rebuild and 6 pounds of boost which the d16 can handle due to be such a low compression motor and they are always being boosted for that purpose. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian99ek

I hope you mean it has a blewn engine because if it blew up in the car then youll need more than just an engine. What exactly is damaged in the engine, and what engibe & tranny is in there? Suggesting internal upgrades cant be done without knowing the extent of the damage.
the guy i got the car from only said it needs a motor its a d16y7 and its a 5speed thats all i know so i im guessing the motor has blewn

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Then you should either inspect or have the engine inspect to confirm whether or not its slavageable. Otherwise, an engine swap is the smarter choice.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You mean D16y8. Engine choice really depends on what you want out of it. Swapping in a D16y8 should take minimal resources. However, if you really want more performance then just seriously consider a B-series swap. Start researching the many options because theyve all been covered.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
I vote swap back to stock man. Easiest, cheapest, and most reliable. Also "blown" not "blewn" or "blowed". Just sayin.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Based on the question alone, " motor was blowed up what is a good one to put in?"

I think K.I.S.S. applies here...

Swap in another d series.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I vote swap back to stock man. Easiest, cheapest, and most reliable. Also "blown" not "blewn" or "blowed". Just sayin.
My mistake. Corrected.

I agree another D-series is the easy route but being that he mentioned upgrading internals, its clear he wants a lil added performance so now is the time to consider an upgrade.