Need helping finding a solution !!

Tawine

Well first this is first, my brake light on my dash is staying on. At first I'd just have to push the handbrake down more for it to go away. Now it's just staying on there, what's the issue?

Also at low rpm's my car shakes like crazy, it's as if there is a shortage of power when I began to move. Around 0-2500 RPM.

The car that I drive is a 99 Civic LX.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Replace the emergency brake contact switch.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh okay, is there a DIY for this? Also will it help with the other issue that I was having?
Google the service manual for your car. You can also try to google replacing the switch but it is pretty simple I don't think there is a DIY.

I highly doubt that has to do with you other problem. All the switch does is tell the little light to warn you that the handle is still up. Unless the reason for the light is your emergency brake handle not going all the way down causing the rear brakes to be on thus causing the car to vibrate.

You didn't explain anything about the shaking enough to diagnose it. Don't have much to go off.

Last edited:

sleeper si

Registered VIP
should be straight forward to remove the plastic around the handbrake so you can see the switch, maybe it just needs to be adjusted or cleaned up.

Tawine

Funny things guys ... my brake light switch went off. Now it also isn't having issues around 0-2500 RPMs now. Weird ....

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also check your brake fluids, i know low fluids on most cars will cause the brake light to light. my buddies si brake light would come on on a hill and shut off on flat ground and it was the brake fluid sloshing around and being to low. the shaking could be motor mounts

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also check your brake fluids, i know low fluids on most cars will cause the brake light to light. my buddies si brake light would come on on a hill and shut off on flat ground and it was the brake fluid sloshing around and being to low. the shaking could be motor mounts
?? E-brake light on for low fluid? Perhaps you are thinking about the ABS light? As far as I have ever known the e-brake light only comes on when the contact switch connected to the end of the handle is "un-grounded". There is nothing else on the circuit but the switch and the light in the dash. Unless your buddies Si wouldn't let the handle go all the way down because of the low fluid. Never heard of that though.

I do believe low fluid or pressure will cause an ABS light to come on though.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
?? E-brake light on for low fluid? Perhaps you are thinking about the ABS light? As far as I have ever known the e-brake light only comes on when the contact switch connected to the end of the handle is "un-grounded". There is nothing else on the circuit but the switch and the light in the dash. Unless your buddies Si wouldn't let the handle go all the way down because of the low fluid. Never heard of that though.

I do believe low fluid or pressure will cause an ABS light to come on though.
Brake light will come on when brake fluid is low. I had a small leak in a rear brake line and had to top off my fluid every couple weeks. Light came on every time. There's a sensors on the brake fluid cap that activates it I believe.

Sent from my eye phone