new 2000 honda!

brandon_g

Hi I am new to the forums. Just purchased it today and am so excited. Runs great. 5 speed which I was looking for. 4 door. ex model. cold ac. has 98,000 miles I got it for 3500$. interior is clean as anything. Has a couple of dents and scratches noe big deal. Just wondering what maintenence to do? I will change the oil. I was thinking timing belt and tensioner and spark plugs and wires. Any performance I can do to get a little more power nothing major. Love the 5 speed I missed it. its black with grey interior. Only issue I find is the cigarette lighter does not work the 12 volt outlet and it has real aggressive winter tires. like truck tires. It hums as I go faster I think its the tires I hope its not a wheel bearing what do you guys think? thanks for all the help and I love the car! Never owned a honda but love it now.Oh ya one more thing I dont think the interior gauges light up. just a fuse you think? thanks.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congratulations man...

RonJ

Banned
Just wondering what maintenence to do? I will change the oil. I was thinking timing belt and tensioner and spark plugs and wires.
Items to add:
-Replace cap and rotor (OEM ignition components are best)
-Drain transmission fluid and refill with HONDA MTF
-Flush power steering system and refill with Honda or Honda-recommended fluid
-Replace water pump and coolant when timing belt is replaced
-Check the front brake pads and rotors
-Look for oil leaks
-Pull CEL codes

Only issue I find is the cigarette lighter does not work the 12 volt outlet
Check 15A fuse 27

it has real aggressive winter tires. like truck tires. It hums as I go faster I think its the tires I hope its not a wheel bearing what do you guys think?
The tires are likely causing the humming sound.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also: (these should be located near the end of your to-do list)
- consider replace fuel filter, if not done so recently
- check the PCV valve for functionality and replace with OEM if clogged

and :welcome:

brandon_g

thanks guys. Im gonna do that. Didnt think of the radiator flush and new tranny fluid thanks. So is autozone fine to go to for spark plugs and wires? they usually offer like diecast is that waht you guys mean?thanks

brandon_g

By only standard OEM NGK spark plugs.
ok thanks. someone at work told me about how on the hondas just use oen=m ignition parts. Just wanted to make sure it was true thanks, what about a cold air intake any iyy?ymprovement on that other than sound probably?

brandon_g

quick question whats a good website for parts other than auto zone?aftermarket parts im thinking like short throw shifters cai ect.... thanks.

Ubajowa

Also: (these should be located near the end of your to-do list)
- consider replace fuel filter, if not done so recently
- check the PCV valve for functionality and replace with OEM if clogged

and :welcome:
If you are looking into the functionality of the pcv, might as well change it, only costs a few buck and well worth the money. I would also suggest, checking all the belts and if need be replace them.

On a side note: Congrats on the buy, I have owned many cars, but my first civic was an eye opener, I love them.