New B18c build

Stephen LaMont

Respected
Hey guys. I'm not positive if this is where I'm supposed to start this thread but, I am finally able to start building my 2000 Si B18c build. Ive had the car for a couple years now just haven't had the time or money to really sink my teeth into it. Ill try to keep all technical questions in their proper location but, please excuse if I ask for advice on a specific topic or picture throughout this thread. I don't have a huge amount of time to devote to it but, I've wanted a 6th gen Si project for a LONG time and plan on taking my time with this one.

Ill start by posting some basic pics so you guys can get a before look at everything. I will let you know that in the process of trying to put it on blocks for me the other day while I was at work, my nephew gave it a nice fresh enormous gouge in the driver side rear panel when the jack stand slipped off the lift point because he was trying to jack up the opposite side on gravel. other than the damage from that, the car was in near perfect condition when I got it. I had added a few small things then such as a Apexi WS2 and megapower headers and a custom cat for the in between piece. Unfortunately I do live in VA and require an inspection so if I want it street legal that damn cat has to be there. also a short shifter and new iridium plugs and NGK wires. Ill do my best to keep on top of references for where parts were purchased and for how much. All of this. however, will be going away since this will be a turbo build.

Im currently waiting on my Darton b18 sleeves that I got at auction on ebay BNIB for $400. about a week ago. If I get time today ill start the pull and get some pictures up. For now, thanks for reading and I hope to learn much! Happy building!

~~I'm also not positive on how to add an image to this thread without it being a link you have to click so, if i do it wrong please tell me how to do so correctly. Thanks!
EDIT: Never mind then lol
0406161856a[1].jpg 0406161856b[1].jpg 0406161856[1].jpg 0406161856c[1].jpg 0406161857[1].jpg 0719151533[1].jpg

Stephen LaMont

Respected
Does or has anyone here used Blox fuel injectors? How do they hold up? If anyone has used or does use them let me know how they function. Under high boost if possible. I was able to get a set of 1000cc from someone for $60. I know they are on the low end of the quality and price spectrum but, if they work and can deliver the fuel i need then it'll be well worth it. Also, does anyone know where I can buy the rubber grommets on the end on the injector? The current are pretty dry rotted. I have the green o-rings for the very end. Just need the "H" shaped rings. I'll post a pic and you will be able to see what I'm talking about. Also picked up another valve cover because I just put my blasting cabinet together and got my paint sprayer and plan on doing the color scheme as jet black/ metallic spider purple trim. If the first attempt is an epic fail Ive got a back-up.

One more thing, can anyone tell me about the tray on the inside of the valve cover ceiling? Its riveted in place so obviously not meant to move. Is it safe to blast a valve cover? I don't want to get anything inside of there? Someone once told me that there is basically a maze of channels in there for air flow and if I get anything inside it that it will be next to impossible to get it out. What is this for? Can I just tape up the edges and seal off the bottom completely with plastic? Or should I go the safer route and use a stripper and sand off the rest? Ive heard the downside to using a stripper is that they don't really know what they're doing though. Haha funny funny. Anyway funny aside, would it be safer to strip the paint and sand clean or am I safe to blast it with glass bead? Will post some pics with what I'm talking about. Thanks guys!

~~~One of the pictures is just an oil cap I picked up at a small parts dealer close to home. That's the exact color I want the engine trim to be. Not all of it. I'm not going crazy with such a rich vibrant color. It would look hideous. I just think this purple goes really well with a deep low gloss jet black.
0407161554[1].jpg injectors.jpg 0406162215[1].jpg valve cover tray.jpg 0407161916[1].jpg

Last edited:

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That is a bad gouge. I would of been livid!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stephen LaMont

Respected
Yeah I wasn't too happy. But, accidents happen. Good thing this car has a long way to go before it's anywhere near completion. If the same thing would have happened say... 2 days after fresh paint (which will be my last step,) I might be short a nephew lol.

So I read up on the oil baffle inside the valve cover. Going to make that the location of 2 of my lines for the catch can. I found an awesome instructional on the whole process here http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/htup-0808-honda-crankcase-ventilation-system/ .
I also found COUNTLESS sellers on ebay for injector rebuild kits that have all the o-rings and grometts ill need to replace the dry-rotted ones. I was still trying to figure out though, I don't think 1000cc injectors are going to be enough. I plan on running very high boost on this build and need to make sure I can get the right amount of fuel to the motor. I think I may order some 1300's or maybe even 2000's. If anyone has a suggestion on that I would love to hear some info on boost pressures vs. injector size limitations. I should reiterate that this will be an E85 conversion which, if my understanding is correct, will need to move quite a bit more fuel than standard gasoline. Yet another reason why I don't think they will be enough but, please let me know if I'm just talking out of my ass and completely wrong lol. I search the information when I can but, as I said before I don't have a whole lot of time to devote. I really appreciate any info what so ever that you seasoned vets can throw at me and sometimes it's easier if I'm in a crunch just to hop on here where I know there are people willing to help and have a strong devotion to the performance community. I know it all comes down to increasing flow and maintaining psi. Just don't know I guess a range of acceptable HP estimates that a certain cc injector can handle?

Lastly, finally got my sleeves! they're beautiful. I almost freaked at first being a virgin to sleeving a block, I had no idea that Darton ( or whoever they have manufacturing their sleeves,) used the same production procedure and label printing for both end sleeves and thought the guy had given me 1 odd one from a different set since the label was backwards lol. Quickly googled my anxiety away though. Engine pull will be tomorrow and hopefully head and block sent to shop by Tuesday. That will take a week and $650 for the sleeves. Not sure how much they'll charge for the head work. Either way, here's some pics and happy building!

0408162133b[1].jpg
I will say he packaged them very well. there was absolutely no movement in the box at all. It was an auction so seems to me someone wanted to build their motor and never got to for whatever reason.

0408162139a[1].jpg
But these babies still look tip top and ready to be sealed in a B18c! Can't wait. I have a couple questions about bore sizing but, I'll do some research before I go in blind lol.

Stephen LaMont

Respected
Oh also guys, I was emailing a rep at DSport and for subscribing they sent me a few things. A t-shirt, some coupons and these toolbox stickers. Not real sure why they sent me a dozen of them but, if anyone wants one there some larger ones in red, pink. or blue and smaller ones in red, grey, or black. PM me an address and I'll mail one to ya. Only one per account please. There's not a ton of em. :-P Oil cap's there for size comparison.

0409161426.jpg

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It's more of a HP thing with injectors, look for a size that fits your HP goal and make sure you check that they will flow enough for your particular setup. The major fuel injection players have all that info for you.