new Civic owner, Turbo Automatic???

Robokillahoe

Hi, I own a 2003 civic ex. with 120k miles on it. I have a rebuilt transmission (automatic). And the car runs perfectly fun with no problems what so ever.

Now my question is. Can I boost my Auto civic? I got several different inconclusive answers from another forum such as... I could, but I wouldn't get the full turbo experience, others said, yes but I'd be limited to lower psi's and lower level ECU's, Others said the transmission wouldnt hold or whatever.... And others said that yes it's possible and there have been people who've done it. And again theres the people that said no.

I'm not looking for a crazy amount of boost. 7-10 psi seems sufficient enough.. The car is lacking in torque and balls, and all I want is just a little more umph.

Would it be possible if I just get a small turbo with low-average amount of boost? I know how much turbos and ECU's run about and money isn't an issue.

Any advice? Please and thank you.

Oh btw I did check the forums for forced induction but the links that were given are down. So I'm a noob at a loss here.

LoveMy05Civic

Welcome and I was in the same boat, I have an 05 auto, and wanted to turbo, but even a basic turbo would only put my D17 at about 205 hp, and a I figured it wasn't worth it considering I can get a complete K20 swap with manual trans for about 5900. So if I was you id just swap it.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well main problem is that the transmission really wouldn't hold out very well and thats a fact. It might hold up for a while if you don't drive to crazy but those trannys arent mean for that much power. I agree with lovemy05civic except you could swap to a much cheaper b18b1 and boost that much higher on stock internals then the D

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
7-10?! You'll kill the transmission. lol Honda automatic transmissions suck. Believe me, I've driven two civics with AT and both the transmissions are weird on these cars. Definitely notice the difference between my parents' fords and my honda.

emerican

Registered VIP
You can do it, but the transmmsion probably wont last that long. Honda auto trans are only gonna hold together up to a certain hp and tq number. There is no exact number that will kill them, but it will happen on any kind of real boost.

Robokillahoe

Oh damn.. Even if my transmission got rebuilt like brand new it wouldn't make a difference?

I've read I get little to almost nothing with I/H/E. But how about cams? Would a stage 1 crower cam help out my auto civic at all?

LoveMy05Civic

Even if you had it rebulit it would still eventually wear out out because it was only ment to handle stock power outputs, now you could rebuild it with better gears flywheel etc... but your best bet would be to get a manual tranny, or a complete swap, automatics are harder to tune as well, at least from what ive heard, manual is the way to go, for fun too.

emerican

Registered VIP
The autos defintly are harder to tune i dont know of any tuner around me that will mess with them.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im going to do the swap this summer, so stoked. I drove my first stick shift a few weeks ago and had my mind set one getting one.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There was a girl on 7thgencivic in CT that boosted her auto civic. She was running about 3 to 4 lbs boost with stock ecu and was very happy with it.
Great passing power.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
There was a girl on 7thgencivic in CT that boosted her auto civic. She was running about 3 to 4 lbs boost with stock ecu and was very happy with it.
Great passing power.
Seems like a biggggg waste of money if you're going to only boost 3-4 lbs. :(

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All she wanted was enough to keep up with CT commuter traffic, lol