New Member. First Civic.

Topher G

What's up peoples. First time posting, but nit my first time here. I finally managed to get my hands on a five speed Civic EJ8. The previous owner was a 17 y/o and riced it out but I'm hoping to tone it back down some. Came with what I believe is a D16y8 with a full intake/header/exhaust. I'm relatively new at this so if I'm wrong correct me, I'm here to learn. The body has around 229k on the clock but the engine was taken from another EJ8 and only has around 65k. It starts up rough initially but runs like a champ after around ten seconds. It has a slight knocking sound to it that's so feint it almost sounds like a tapping sound. All the removable panels have minor damage but the quarter panels are almost mint. Took it home for $400. Basically just wondering if it was a waste of money or a steal?

Attachments

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
welcome to the forum. If you bought a running/driving car for $400, and it passes emissions, I'd say that was a deal. the cosmetics can be fixed with a few trips to the local salvage yard or browsing Craigslist. As for the tapping, unfortunately, you gotta be a little more specific. Are you able to isolate the location? At first guess, if a light tapping, possible that valves need adjusting?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:wstupid:

Im sure you could've bought worse things for $400 :what:

Topher G

It's coming from under the valve cover from either cylinder two or three. I dont have a stethoscope to really specify which. I wanna say its a spun bearing but my knowledge is limited. Thanks for replying, by the way.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd suggest checking that valve lash/adjusting if needed. Hopefully that will take care of the issue.