New Member, Questioning Honda Dealers Repair-2015 Civic Si

Honda_chick_VI

Hi there forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong thread I'm a new member but feel free to send me to the correct place...

Purchased my 2015 Si Coupe, in May from the Honda dealership.

I noticed a strange noise almost like a grinding and ask them to take a look as my used car did not have a warranty included.

This was about a week after purchasing the car. Took a few weeks but they finally agreed and determined that my clutch needed to be replaced.

I took it in to have it replaced and at the same time they needed to also replace a caliper on the driver's side rear brake as it was faulty and rusted.

I dropped my car off at about 10:00 in the morning and by 4:30 the repairs were done although initially I'd been told it would be two days before I would get the car back.

The noise was gone but I do not believe that the clutch was actually replaced as it does not feel any different when driving. They told me the reason it was so fast to repair was they used a faster shop to machine my flywheel. My clutch felt no different in fact the only difference was I had to press it further down to get it to engage then before the said new clutch was installed.

I believe that they replace possibly a bearing or whatever they needed to replace in order to get the noise to go away but I do not believe that the clutch was actually replaced because when I look at my carfax report I see the break repaired but there's nothing mentioned about the clutch and the repairs were completed at the same time.

Maybe a dumb question but how do I determine if it was actually replaced or not? I'm not really mechanically inclined whatsoever and I think that they just pretended they replaced it got rid of the noise and didn't actually replace clutch.

Why would Carfax not show this if it shows the other repair done at the same time.

Any insight on how to determine whether this was actually replaced would be great because as I said I'm not mechanically inclined and I have no idea whether they assumed I'm a girl with limited knowledge and just did the basics to repair the noise or whether they actually did replace my clutch.

Thank you

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Why would Carfax not show this if it shows the other repair done at the same time.
Repairs are not required to be reported to CarFax. Carfax is a private company, not a federal or state entity. Also vehicle repairs are not required to be reported to any agency. If they were, it would never get updated as the back log of repairs would be years long. The fact that your CarFax has any record of repair is simply by chance if that shop or dealership has a partnership with CarFax services.

Honda_chick_VI

Repairs are not required to be reported to CarFax. Carfax is a private company, not a federal or state entity. Also vehicle repairs are not required to be reported to any agency. If they were, it would never get updated as the back log of repairs would be years long. The fact that your CarFax has any record of repair is simply by chance if that shop or dealership has a partnership with CarFax services.
Thank you, It was the Honda Dealership who completed the repair. I just assumed it would be as the other repair completed same day (the brakes) was on there, so seems odd that one but not the other is showing.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thank you, It was the Honda Dealership who completed the repair. I just assumed it would be as the other repair completed same day (the brakes) was on there, so seems odd that one but not the other is showing.
Using carfax is only good to seeing reported major damages to vehicles. If there was an insurance repair it SHOULD be on a carfax as that is reported to the insurance agencies and the information is public. Carfax is is also useful to verify VIN# of the vehcile, engine, trans and body panels to verify repairs.

However maintenance records are on the owners. In your owners manual there is a log to keep all maintenance records, I recommend using that and its also a huge resell point when you can show records of maintenance.

Honda_chick_VI

Using carfax is only good to seeing reported major damages to vehicles. If there was an insurance repair it SHOULD be on a carfax as that is reported to the insurance agencies and the information is public. Carfax is is also useful to verify VIN# of the vehcile, engine, trans and body panels to verify repairs.

However maintenance records are on the owners. In your owners manual there is a log to keep all maintenance records, I recommend using that and its also a huge resell point when you can show records of maintenance.

Yes I appreciate that info. Just found it strange that one repair would be entered and the other was not in the event that they did complete both as they said they did.