68Camaro's Civic build

68Camaro

Respected
Hi guys I've been stocking the Honda scene for awhile till now I need to start to think about a daily for when I turn 16. So , my dad owns a tool and die shop and a kids been looking for one for me and this showed up.
got it for 3000, which it's the only one I could find around here that you couldn't put your hand threw the quarter panel ( lol). Don't know a ton about these cars yet. My family is into classics, including my 68 camaro I'm building, so we have no clue about one of these things. So that's why I've come here. Has a d16y7 , skunk2 coil overs, custom full exhaust, cold air intake, aluminum radiator , some crazy wheels and a short throw shifter . Needs work to make it perfect . Is it worth trying to build up this motor? Or should I swap it? Thanks for looking , nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome aboard and congrats on the find. The general consensus is that its much more worth it to swap in a better motor than to try building that one up. Do search through the 6th gen. tech section to learn about the car itself, along with virtually any engine swap available to it. There's almost no related topic about a Civic that hasn't been covered several times in this forum.

Do you have any desired performance goals for the Civic so our members can point you in the right direction?

68Camaro

Respected
Welcome aboard and congrats on the find. The general consensus is that its much more worth it to swap in a better motor than to try building that one up. Do search through the 6th gen. tech section to learn about the car itself, along with virtually any engine swap available to it. There's almost no related topic about a Civic that hasn't been covered several times in this forum.

Do you have any desired performance goals for the Civic so our members can point you in the right direction?
Thanks. Looking to get around 200-250 hp out of it . But able to still daily drive it. Thought about a small turbo setup up, but I live up north and would think they would be harder to start in the winter?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not the expert in engines swaps, but I know that range of HP has been covered many times so prepare for some informative searching. I know the safest bet is to perform a K-series swap for that HP range. Check out @CHILD 's build as his is arguably the best K-swap story on the forum and I think he's pulling 280WHP but with plenty of mods.

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/childs-ek-finally-i-have-an-ek.204688/page-270

68Camaro

Respected
I'm not the expert in engines swaps, but I know that range of HP has been covered many times so prepare for some informative searching. I know the safest bet is to perform a K-series swap for that HP range. Check out @CHILD 's build as his is arguably the best K-swap story on the forum and I think he's pulling 280WHP but with plenty of mods.

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/childs-ek-finally-i-have-an-ek.204688/page-270
Thanks appreciate the help

NOLAcivic

Respected
I think it comes to how much you want to do for the power.

If all you want is 250 max hp (which is really fun on the street). Get a b20b motor and swap it in and put together a basic turbo kit for it. I had a tiny t25 turbo from an sr20 (nissan) engine on my last one and it was really fun. It made 230hp/220tq. Maybe go t28 to have more room. It was on a stock motor and ls transmission. Was able to retain a/c and p/s. The turbos are cheap in price but Garrett so good quality. B20b motors are cheap and you can use oem mounts to keep the vibrations down. The goal for that car was to just have a quick spooling daily driver. Most will say go with a t3 but there are plenty of options in the t2 family. Gt28s will give you a lot of usable power at a decent price

68Camaro

Respected
It's time to start working on this thing.

Here's the parts list that I know of:
-D16y8
-Aftermarket header
-Short throw shifter
-Cold air intake
-Vibrant exhaust
-Adjustable camber links
-Xxr wheels (not sure of the model , not really a fan of them anyway)
-Radio(not sure of the brand)
-Aftermarket speakers
-type 1 coilovers
-bumper quick release
-steering wheel quick release
I think that's it but don't quote me.

Last edited by a moderator:

68Camaro

Respected
Ok here we go. When I got it into my possession at my dads shop.

The kid had it wayyy to low for my liking and way to cambered out. So I got to work.
front first , the the back done. Front needs dropped a little bit.
I also apologize for my crappy pictures from my iPhone.

68Camaro

Respected
Finally moved it into the New garage yesterday! But on the way of driving it to the house , I put the passenger window down and it struggled hard! So I went to put it up and it was a no go . So I had to pull the door panel off and put it back on the track and slap some wd40 on it and it goes up but is weak and slow. Probably gonna put in a new motor at some point. Me and my dad are pretty excited since we can walk out the door and work on our cars and not have to go to his shop.
and here is the other side of it
only got a few cars moved over. But I washed, applied buffing compound and waxed it. Which took awhile by itself.
and that's where I left off at. This thread is going to be slow going since I only go to my dads every other week, and the fact that I'm working it off this summer but I am super pumped about building this thing !

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@68Camaro, I merged both threads because they're both related, and tweaked some wording for the sake of flow and no repetition. I re-titled this one to be similar to the other thread.

68Camaro

Respected
Got some more stuff done.
painted the door trim, windshield wiper arms and the roof trim.
I'm happy with the fitment in the rear, but I have to get rid of these wheels. Way to wide I can't get the camber out or they will rub bad. Front still needs dropped a bit but I need the air compressor hooked up still. Kinda cool that me and my dad both have lowered vehicles. The rat rod look on it I think is the best part.

Thinking about picking up a set of steelies for the moment. Rock those for awhile then when I save up enough get a nice set of wheels for the summer and use the steelies for winter wheels.

Last edited:

68Camaro

Respected
Alright here we go. I went to the junkyard and picked up some stuff I needed. I needed the door linkages for the lock, windshield wiper bottle and a wing lol. But the gem was a low mile y8 and 5speed for 150 bucks . And I adjusted my rear camber so they are almost straight lol. Also took of the quick release since it's so annoying. Degreased the hood latch and now it works. Little by little getting her done.

68Camaro

Respected
Changing the coilover height in the front is kicking my butt. Probably because I went the a big car show with the 55 and walked around for awhile lol.taking a little break sitting in the car

68Camaro

Respected
The trans is so trashed lol. Won't go into gear for its life. It grinds a lot when I try to put it in gear and is choppy off the line . I'm thinking the clutch and synchros are shot. Maybe worth just swapping trans ? I have a good extra . Is it me or does it seem quick for what it is ?

68Camaro

Respected
Well it's been a hot minute, but slowly getting more time to work on this thing . Also got a 97 auto parts car for 400 bucks. Freaking steal. Runs and drives all it needs is a rack. But I'm just take the parts I want /need and sell the rest

Also forgot to mention, I've seen a lot of people convert from a 96-97 to 98-99 front clip, but I imagine I could do the process in reverse and put that clip on my actual civic. But idk some input would be nice for how easy it is -if it's possible without hacking everything apart

Last edited by a moderator:

68Camaro

Respected
Alright got it home from the shop, almost a little run in with the cops but we made it . I started problem solving for the tach and speedo . I did the test and nothing happened. So I'm gonna get the cluster out of the parts car to test .i pained the engine. Bay which looks a lot better . Before :
after :
looks a ton better .then I wired in a horn, which was a pain. Tried wiring it to the constant for the radio but I blew a fuse so I used a extra fuse and prong so it's on it's own fuse .