New to Honda... but a longtime love.

DarrkTeddy

Civic Newbie
Hey all.
I just got a 91 Civic DX; mostly stock with a decent exhaust and crappy homemade cold air intake. My cousin just gave the car to me. Basically he beat the crap out of it and then let it sit for 2 months with no radiator in it. He also gave me a set of coil-over springs for it as well.

So I got it home yesterday and got a radiator in today. I was having some problems getting it started so i pulled the plugs to see the head filled halfway full of oil where the plugs usually sit. I took them all out used some parts cleaner and cleaned everything up and she started up after a little convincing with starting fluid.

After all that, here's my question: what does it usually mean when there's that much oil sitting with those plugs? Valve cover seal? head gasket? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.:D

Gunner

Registered VIP
I am sure this was not intentional but it is a double post, i responded in your other one. =)

RonJ

Banned
Moderators should be able to recover the posts and merge them into this thread. PM them.

I assume you are saying the spark plug tubes were filled with oil. If so, replacing the seals in the valve cover should fix the problem.

Gunner

Registered VIP
I basically was saying check the spark plug seals, they come in the valve cover gasket kit, also was saying to check valve cover as Ron J said... Also wondered if oil was on the top of the plugs as well or was it just inside..seeing if it came from the top or filled from the bottom.

DarrkTeddy

Civic Newbie
... Also wondered if oil was on the top of the plugs as well or was it just inside..seeing if it came from the top or filled from the bottom.
Yes there was oil on the plugs as well. Someone else said it may be the valve cover seals as well. So i think I'll just go to work and price out a whole gasket set.... might as well do the entire head while I'm at it. Skill level skill from 1-10 for a job like that?
Here's some pics.... its off te lift now and please don't judge. As I said before my cousin beat the crap out of it and it's now my little project car. I'd really like to make it look nice and hold its own on the track.

It's off the dolly now. I actually have it up and running. The battery doesn't seem to be charging so I think it needs an alternator. :x

fredn

Sex and Cars.
Tokyo Bomb. Omg. Lol. Dude. I love it. What a start for a project. If you don't want it i'll take it. Wow. I'm not even being sarcastic... if someone dropped that in my hands I'd be like... WHOA THANKS. I love these hatches.

ANYWAYS... Why did your cuz take the radiator out? It sounds like... he probably overheated it (since he ran it like hell or whatever you said) which is why he took the radiator out? Because he thought the radiator was problem? I am guessing. Then I would think it's head gasket... but ya. I wouldn't be running it if I were you... Just going to cause more damage. =/

What start though. He already ripped out most of the interior for you... Track car? YES. lol.

DarrkTeddy

Civic Newbie
LOL. Unfortunately the hood hasa to go back to him... it was a friend of his that died who painted it. I actually took the seats out to clean it. Everything is back in now. The radiator was taken out because it was over heating. I just put a new one it and it is no longer overheating. Im not running it atm however I did take it for a test drive. I'm at least going to wait until i get new seals and gaskets on it and a tuneup. The ultimate goal for this car is a track/show car that is still street legal. Needless to say.. I have my hands full and sorry. It's all mine lol. Did I mention it was free?????? LOL:twisted:

emerican

Registered VIP
Cantr beat free cars at all lol.
It will keep your hands full but it also has alot of potential.
I would have to lose those headlights and taillights if i where you, but thats just me its your car.

DarrkTeddy

Civic Newbie
Ok took a while to get back here... lost internet for a while... whatever...its life lol. So heres the deal so far.
I got it running and battery just wouldnt stay charged. Did the "ol remove the negative terminal trick" and sure enough it cut off. Replaced the alternator (which took a lot of convincing to get out and back in). I think the next step will be to replace the valve cover seal and the typical tune up with plugs, wires, distributor, and oil change. Got some decent rims for $400 off a good friend. Just wondering what i could do for a little more power. Any suggestions?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really hope you meant to write 15 inch, 18 is way too big for the older civics, and god help you if you try to track with those lol. Anyway good luck bro, doesn't look too bad at all.

DarrkTeddy

Civic Newbie
I really hope you meant to write 15 inch, 18 is way too big for the older civics, and god help you if you try to track with those lol. Anyway good luck bro, doesn't look too bad at all.
no...18 lol. Idk yet well see how they look and if i dont like em ill sell em. Theres plenty of people who would take them off my hands