new to site, looking for info on engine swap d16y8 to d16z6????

cobra_cs

Hi everyone, new to the site and looking for some info on motors. I have a 96 civic si (us ex), with a d16y8, well the motor grenaded today. Found a d16z6 cheap already out and complete. both are from 5spd cars. wondering what all needs to be swapped to bolt in and keep the existing ecu. there is none with the motor. I've noticed the intake is different as well as motor mounts,and the dipstick is in the front instead of by the timing cover. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Keller

From what I understand most d series parts in interchangeable u wanna make sure if ur v-tech your head ecu and other stuff all fit that and all the trannys have diffrent gearing so if u got them together that's good I had really long gears in a small ass weak motor it sucked but u should be able to use most everything if it's all stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It might be possible to run the z6 on the y8 ecu because there close to the same specs but its highly unadvised since it could run rich or lean. An ecu on eBay should be 50-150 $ and everything should bolt right up into the car

cobra_cs

thanks for the info guys. the cheap motor fell through anyway so now I'm just going to check the autopac auctions for a donor car with a b16