New to the forum and hondas

Afroshark

I picked up an old 91 civic hatchback this week. It needs some tlc but, I believe it could be a decent little car. It has had a motor swap done to it with a b20z2 motor installed. After market rims, the guy that I got it from didn't know much at all since he has only had it for a little while. It is running rich to the point it nearly chokes itself out, which I believe could be injectors. It idles pretty rough but, I believe that could be the running rich issue. I do have a really big question too it needs exhaust work especially from the cat back. I want something that doesn't make it really loud, would rather have a mellow tone any suggestions? I will post photos when it stops raining lol. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how much money you got? theres alot of quality exhaust for that car, just depends on what you wanna spend, but id say go custom. get you nice muffler, than have the pipes ran new.

dancam

Registered VIP
Is the drivers door a different colour or is that just the light reflecting weird?
I have a cherry bomb glasspack straight through muffler and i think its good. Fairly quiet up till about 3100rpm, then it gets loud. Which sounds very nice when accelerating but gets annoying on long drives at higher speeds. Its not on a civic but should sound about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afroshark

I believe it is lol. I didn't even notice. I plan on repainting any way. Cool. I will look into that.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I do have a really big question too it needs exhaust work especially from the cat back. I want something that doesn't make it really loud, would rather have a mellow tone any suggestions?
Thermal Research & Developement "Classic" model or HKS.
The HKS uses dual tips, which makes it look a bit more stock.

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
I believe it is lol. I didn't even notice. I plan on repainting any way. Cool. I will look into that.
Why do you wanna repaint it? I kinda like the red and the stripes =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
One aesthetic interior thing I would add also would be a shift console from a Dx or Si model since your model didn't come with one.
Unless you like that look as it is now.

Afroshark

One aesthetic interior thing I would add also would be a shift console from a Dx or Si model since your model didn't come with one.
Unless you like that look as it is now.
I will see what I can find it wouldn't mind having a center console. I do need to find a new dash because the guy that "built" it destroyed most of the lower dash. Lol I think I am gonna have a fun time fixing the wiring that looks horrible lol.

Afroshark

Update on my Honda.
The Bad
The person who did the swap did so lazily, between myself and my mechanic we have found multiple things that were done half arsed. The throttle body was not screwed on tightly at all (I could loosen the bolts by hand), there were multiple hoses missing clamps, the TPS is stuck so it needs replaced, the fuel filter was missing some of the parts to have it completely functional. It is spitting raw fuel out of the exhaust. The guy had set the timing off to where it would run richer (No clue why though). He cut the threads off of the shift rod so that it would be a "short throw". They wired the tach to the distributor. There are random wires running everywhere (no clue where or what they run to we will have to trace them to see).
The Good
The motor has good compression, transmission is pretty much perfect, the clutch and flywheel are brand new, has adjustable cam gears.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It sounds like you have a project ahead of you, but if the motor is healthy it might be worth it.

Find whoever half-assed the job, and slap them. :slap:

Reactions: HeX

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you want a simple semi-stock sound while remaining in a low budget then I'd suggest having a muffler shop re-do the piping and installing a high flow cat, then slap on a used muffler from a sportier 4-banger like an RSX-S, Integra, CL-S, etc. It really all depends on the overall sound you want throughout the entire spectrum of the RPMs.

The person who did the swap did so lazily, between myself and my mechanic we have found multiple things that were done half arsed. The throttle body was not screwed on tightly at all (I could loosen the bolts by hand), there were multiple hoses missing clamps, the TPS is stuck so it needs replaced, the fuel filter was missing some of the parts to have it completely functional. It is spitting raw fuel out of the exhaust. The guy had set the timing off to where it would run richer (No clue why though). He cut the threads off of the shift rod so that it would be a "short throw". They wired the tach to the distributor. There are random wires running everywhere (no clue where or what they run to we will have to trace them to see).
The Good
The motor has good compression, transmission is pretty much perfect, the clutch and flywheel are brand new, has adjustable cam gears.
Those issues sound tedious yet manageable. Its good to hear that you're set on correcting them so there's one better running Honda left on the road.

Last edited: