*New to this* 95 Honda Civic EX Sedan Slow build

JCruzin

Sup guys! This is my first ever post!! I'm basically new to this since I never really get on it until today. I got bored and decided to make a forum. [emoji16]
So, I sold my MR EM1 bc I needed the money. The EM1 was going to be my project. It had a fresh LSV swap when I bought it. Well, I actually traded this Jaguar XJ for it. But anyway, I downgraded to a 95 Civic EX Sedan. I got it off some girl on Craigslist for $500 and all it needed was a Harmonic balancer and a crankshaft bolt. The girl bought it in 1995 and hasn't touched anything so, everything in the car is all stock it even has the original radio lol. The car was made in Japan I think or just the motor but a sticker on the front frame said "Honda Motor Made In Japan" and the engine had a stamp that said "ZC" and not like d16y8 or d16z6 but I assumed that it was all the same except mine was made in Japan. I guess that's cool lol. I bought a Harmonic Balancer and a crankshaft bolt from a friend's blown d16y8 for $20. Put it on the next day and the car runs awesome even with 300xxx mils on it lollll!! The car is extremely filthy though. I'm in the process of cleaning it all up and making it all look brand new and fresh. There's coffee spillage or mud stains all over the carpets and panels, etc. The interior looked like and smelled like something died in it Lolll. But I took out the seats and carpet to clean it using carpet cleaner on anything cloth. Going to scrub the s**t out of everything tomorrow lol. After that I'm going to spray paint the carpet and panels to the same color which is a tan interior. After all that I should be done with the interior and then I'll start fixing cosmetic issues on the exterior. Which is very minor. Paint is wearing off though but it's okay.
My plan is to start with the little things. Like first I want to start saving up for a $500 paint job. Then I want GSR leather seats or DC5 Seats/rear seats also(I want a black and tan color mix), jdm head lights, HIDs, si lip, exhaust(not sure what brand yet)(looking for a deep tone and not raspy, any suggestions?), after market radio and speakers, center console with a working cup holder(in black)(Will an EK center console work?? Bc I like there cup holders), and then the last little stuff purchase is probably a quick release bc my steering wheel is kind of worn out.

I'm making this into a CLEAN FUNCTIONAL and GAS SAVING Honda. I wanna put some nice wheels and lower it and camber it but I don't want it to low where I'm scraping everywhere lol.

Sorry the last pic is horrible bc it was hella sunny outside that day
Other pics is showing how filthy it was. I did not get pics of the plastic parts but they were pretty filthy too.
uploadfromtaptalk1438930431464.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438930448328.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438930412553.jpg

To be continued....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The girl bought it in 1995 and hasn't touched anything so, everything in the car is all stock it even has the original radio lol. The car was made in Japan I think or just the motor but a sticker on the front frame said "Honda Motor Made In Japan" and the engine had a stamp that said "ZC" and not like d16y8 or d16z6 but I assumed that it was all the same except mine was made in Japan. I guess that's cool lol.
At some point the car has had a bottom end swap at the very least.
So the 300k miles you say it has on it, isn't miles on the motor.
The ZC is a Japanese market d series motor, not available in the US, but using most of the same parts as any d15/d16 SOHC motor.
Many Hondas' from that time were made in Japan, Canada or Ohio, nothing out of the ordinary there either.

I would by pass on "saving up" for a $500 paint job, and shoot for something a little better.
You get what you pay for when it comes to paint and body work.
I would worry about the mechanical more than the paint.

bairdandrew77

The engine's definitely been swapped, or the block was at the very least. On the bright side you have a bottom end (and maybe head, I don't know) that most likely has a lot less miles on it. If the engine is functioning properly, maybe do a tune up to be safe and focus on the rest of the car

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

JCruzin

At some point the car has had a bottom end swap at the very least.
So the 300k miles you say it has on it, isn't miles on the motor.
The ZC is a Japanese market d series motor, not available in the US, but using most of the same parts as any d15/d16 SOHC motor.
Many Hondas' from that time were made in Japan, Canada or Ohio, nothing out of the ordinary there either.

I would by pass on "saving up" for a $500 paint job, and shoot for something a little better.
You get what you pay for when it comes to paint and body work.
I would worry about the mechanical more than the paint.
The lady that I bought it from told me that she's never swapped anything out of the engine other than getting regular oil changes. How would you check if the bottom or head has been changed?

I did change my mind with buying all those non sense stuff and think long term with the car. I may get a new engine with less miles but for now I'm gonna keep this engine until it goes out on me. Lol

The engine's definitely been swapped, or the block was at the very least. On the bright side you have a bottom end (and maybe head, I don't know) that most likely has a lot less miles on it. If the engine is functioning properly, maybe do a tune up to be safe and focus on the rest of the car

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
The engine functions the way it should. When I first turned it on I heard no knocks or ticks. My plan is to just keep this engine for now until the day it gives up on me lol

Took some better pictures today! This is my $500 project car lol
This will be a pretty dope learning experience!

uploadfromtaptalk1438972715023.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438972729174.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438972743320.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438972759660.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438972770220.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438972782902.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438972798594.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1438972812712.jpg

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The lady that I bought it from told me that she's never swapped anything out of the engine other than getting regular oil changes. How would you check if the bottom or head has been changed?
She is either forgetful or not being honest.
d16z6 is what should be stamped on that motor, if it were the stock motor.
The fact of the matter is, SOMETHING had to have been swapped.
ZC motors were not available on this side of the globe, it was a Euro and Japanese market motor.
You have a vtec head on a ZC bottom end, it's that simple.

Gumina144

Man, that car sure is clean for 300 on the body.
As far as your question for an ek cup holders, it is possible but it will need some modifying to make it work. I would check out the Apexi world sport 2 for an exhaust, it's by far one of my favorites.

Seems like your off to a good start and are headed in the right direction. In to see where this heads.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
She is either forgetful or not being honest.
d16z6 is what should be stamped on that motor, if it were the stock motor.
The fact of the matter is, SOMETHING had to have been swapped.
ZC motors were not available on this side of the globe, it was a Euro and Japanese market motor.
You have a vtec head on a ZC bottom end, it's that simple.
This. The fact that the VC is painted and in seemingly good condition leads me to believe that this was recently done. I can see marks on the block where the tranny was pried off, so at some point that happened too.

Man, that car sure is clean for 300 on the body.
As far as your question for an ek cup holders, it is possible but it will need some modifying to make it work. I would check out the Apexi world sport 2 for an exhaust, it's by far one of my favorites.

Seems like your off to a good start and are headed in the right direction. In to see where this heads.
I don't mean to thread jack, but :welcome: from Roclife, lol.

OP - don't get EK cupholders. I strongly disliked them lol. But so far it looks like you have a solid car to work with and a solid plan to getting her clean and looking good. :thumbs up

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can see marks on the block where the tranny was pried off, so at some point that happened too.
I agree. The marks are obvious. This is definitely not stock, but better for you. Its still a great buy for a now running Civic. I do second the notion not to waste your money on a $500 paint job. If you have even mildly good taste, you will regret it in a few weeks if not immediately after its dry. You're better off saving and leaving the paint & body work for last. Let it look like a beater, keep you cool and comfortable, and run like a champ while appearing to be just a beater.

JCruzin

Okay fellas. I have been contemplating on selling it or keeping it recently. I finally made up my decision of selling it because my friend is in need of a car. He offered me $2500 which is a good amount of profit. So I'm not complaining lol. I sure will miss this car though and I haven't even had it for a whole month lol.
I found some good deals for a Del Sol(d series), Ek hatch(d series), a couple DAs and Acura integras with an LS motor. Right now I'm laying out my options. Going to take a look at all the cars next week or so.
I will be back on this post in a few weeks to update with the new car.
Stay tuned! Lol
To be continued...