Newbie '15 Coupe Si Build suggestions

xXDukeNukemXx

Hey all, first ill say abit of myself. I live in NYC and last year I bought myself a 2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe. Fell in love with the car instantly. It is my first manual car but I am told I drive manual like someone who didn't even know what an automatic is. My previous cars were, as a starter, a 1994 Honda Accord EX and a 2012 Civic Coupe EX. So I am a long time honda "fan" though I am very outside of the car world circle. I was never an enthusiast till I got the 2015 Si, so forgive me if I say or show something that just simply doesn't work.

As of now the Si is completely stock and but I love the way it drives. My goal is to add another 100-120 HP to it by switching out the stock ones with some performance parts.

I was thinking of only doing an exhaust system and cool air intake for now with break pads and performance clutch. These are the parts I have my eyes on right now. Let me know what anyone thinks.

Cool Air Intake:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-1019TS#reviews

http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_170/product-2213/index.html

Exhaust system:

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/magnaflow-exhaust-systems

I would like a low hum sound, not the high pitched volume that you hear with other cars. This exhaust system is the first one I found that may do that for me.

Clutch:

http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_89/product-2218/index.html

(I have no idea what I should be looking for so please, any information would be nice.)

Breaks:

No idea, I'd need some information on that

To basically sum up what I would like the performance to be like is like this Youtube clip

"Turbo FA5: stock engine, trans, head, cams, etc". I'd like afew things to be stock (for now) till I get better informed and start really learning about these things.

Hopefully the things I said here gives anyone who would like to put some input on this an idea of what I am looking for. Any questions please do ask, I'd like many people's opinions! Thanks again!!

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You should save your cash and go for the forced induction route.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First off welcome.

The 8th gen Si and the 9th gen are a little different, being that the 8th gen comes with the k20z3 and the 9th gen comes with the k24z7. The k20 doesn't really respond well at lower rpm, has a stronger vtec crossover, RBC intake manifold (from what I've read, one of the best flowing manifolds), etc. The k24 was introduced into the Si to add a little more torque, however, VTEC is a little more subtle and uses a plastic intake manifold. Honda designed the k24 to have vtec on the intake cam whereas the k20 had it on both. (Vague description, Google is your friend)

I would research some k24 builds and try to piece together what you would like. You'll learn a lot and I'm sure there's plenty of us that will be happy to help answer questions on how things work.

I own an 8th gen si sedan, so don't know 9th gen Exhaust options much. I have a vibrant catback that sounds great. Low grumble, and screams at high rpm.

Stock airbox is the way to go. Drop a decent air filter in there.

If you're gonna replace your clutch, I'd stick with either OEM replacement or stage 1 from a quality brand

Brakes depend on your driving habits and what you will use the car for. Ebc and hawk make good pads. Use a good quality DOT 3/4 brake fluid. Stainless steel brake lines are a nice upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

xXDukeNukemXx

By forced induction, you mean No2? Turbo_Freak

Osiris19, you are talking another language to me haha when you say it comes with the k24z7, what exactly to you mean?
My driving habits are normal, no racing or anything like that. I don't want a 500HP car, just something between a 300-350 for that extra "need for speed" when it calls for it. Not entirely sure what you mean when you are talking about an "OEM" clutch. What other differences would there be?

I like your idea for stainless steel brake lines though!

jackdog1

By forced induction, you mean No2? Turbo_Freak

Osiris19, you are talking another language to me haha when you say it comes with the k24z7, what exactly to you mean?
My driving habits are normal, no racing or anything like that. I don't want a 500HP car, just something between a 300-350 for that extra "need for speed" when it calls for it. Not entirely sure what you mean when you are talking about an "OEM" clutch. What other differences would there be?

If you don't even know what a k24 is (the engine model) you should probably do a lot more research before considering any hp upgrades. OEM means manufacturer/factory part.

xXDukeNukemXx

If you don't even know what a k24 is (the engine model) you should probably do a lot more research before considering and hp upgrades. OEM means manufacturer/factory part.
Im not doing a damn thing till I know this specific car inside and out lol

Like I said I am very outside of the loop in the car world

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They're easy cars to learn on. Honda labels their engines by a letter followed by numbers and letters. The first letter indicates the engine family, e.g. K series, B series, D series. The set of numbers that follow it indicate the liter size, so a k24 is a 2.4L displacement engine and a b18 is 1.8L displacement engine.

OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. Basically, Honda genuine parts for example. Forced induction includes turbos, superchargers, NO2.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

xXDukeNukemXx

They're easy cars to learn on. Honda labels their engines by a letter followed by numbers and letters. The first letter indicates the engine family, e.g. K series, B series, D series. The set of numbers that follow it indicate the liter size, so a k24 is a 2.4L displacement engine and a b18 is 1.8L displacement engine.

OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. Basically, Honda genuine parts for example. Forced induction includes turbos, superchargers, NO2.

Gotcha, but what does the "z7" stand for?

Understood on the force induction, though im not interested in going the NO2 route what so ever. Im not going to racing or using it for a drag strip. With turbos and superchargers, wouldn't I have to rearranged things in the engine bay in order to have some of those mods fit? Or would it be more or less plug and play, with this type of car?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's just the engine code used to designate one engine to another. A z7 could have slightly different internal parts than say a w5.

They make direct bolt on Supercharger kits such as CT engineering or kraftwerks. Not sure how the rest of the pieces work with stock.

xXDukeNukemXx

It's just the engine code used to designate one engine to another. A z7 could have slightly different internal parts than say a w5.

They make direct bolt on Supercharger kits such as CT engineering or kraftwerks. Not sure how the rest of the pieces work with stock.

Interesting so if there were different spark plugs or something slightly different there would be another end designation for the engine?

What do you think I should think of looking at? I mean i saw the video uptop and the guy only did slight modifications and the performance for an everyday car was awesome, atleast to the untrained eye

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Intake, exhaust, header, and a Flashpro adds like 30hp with a tune. Hondata has dyno sheets on their website that show how well they respond. Now I have an 8th gen and the k20, so I'm not exactly 100% sure how the k24 responds to bolt ons like mine does.

xXDukeNukemXx

All those add only 30HP? I read that just the Intake can add another 30HP along with another 10 or so from a nice exhaust system

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All those add only 30HP? I read that just the Intake can add another 30HP along with another 10 or so from a nice exhaust system
Only with a tune. You can, and will probably, lose power adding these unless you tune for the upgrades.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The 8th gen Si and the 9th gen are a little different, being that the 8th gen comes with the k20z3 and the 9th gen comes with the k24z7. The k20 doesn't really respond well at lower rpm, has a stronger vtec crossover, RBC intake manifold (from what I've read, one of the best flowing manifolds), etc. The k24 was introduced into the Si to add a little more torque, however, VTEC is a little more subtle and uses a plastic intake manifold. Honda designed the k24 to have vtec on the intake cam whereas the k20 had it on both. (Vague description, Google is your friend)

I own an 8th gen si sedan, so don't know 9th gen Exhaust options much. I have a vibrant catback that sounds great. Low grumble, and screams at high rpm.

Stock airbox is the way to go. Drop a decent air filter in there.
The k20 has a "strong" crossover because the low end performance isn't optimized in factory form which makes vtec more abrupt. You'll find that the high lobe lift is nearly identical between the two so it's not really stronger than the other. The K24 vtec crossover is at a lower rpm, which you'll find that tuned K20 engines almost always need a lower vtec crossover point for more midrange and a smooth powerband. With the VTC in K series engines and a proper tune, the sound and feel of vtec is almost eliminated when the engine is optimized.

The RBC intake manifold is not one of the best flowing, but it is one of the best bangs for the buck as far as intake manifold options for K series.

Not all K24's have vtec only on the intake cam. Some are just like your K20. The older style K series heads are able to be put onto the K24z engines but it's not a simple process.

The stock airbox is dog s**t compared to something like the Skunk2 cold air intake for a 9th gen. That stupid "a cold air intake does nothing but sound" info does not fit when talking about a K series engine (tuned and un-tuned).

300-350 with bolt on modifications isn't going to happen. At a minimum you'll need big aftermarket camshafts, which will need supporting valvetrain, along with bolt on mods and tune will just get you close to that 300, but not quite. Like above, you'll want forced induction. The video you're using as reference is of a forced induction setup, so follow in their footsteps if you want that ouput, otherwise you'll need a really extensive setup.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some of it is a mix of flywheel rated horsepower and dyno tuned wheel horsepower.
Factory flywheel rated horsepower is around 200 hp (not exact numbers used here)
A completely factory Si typically only makes around 180 wheel horsepower.
On average we see a Si with intake, header, exhaust, and flashpro make around 230 wheel horsepower. This output is inline with your thinking. Some poeple look at it as, a Si makes 200 stock and only makes 230 after those basic mods.
Either way, you'lll be nowhere near your goal with basic mods.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for elaborating! I figured I had some things that need more research. Glad you chimed in.

xXDukeNukemXx

Some of it is a mix of flywheel rated horsepower and dyno tuned wheel horsepower.
Factory flywheel rated horsepower is around 200 hp (not exact numbers used here)
A completely factory Si typically only makes around 180 wheel horsepower.
On average we see a Si with intake, header, exhaust, and flashpro make around 230 wheel horsepower. This output is inline with your thinking. Some poeple look at it as, a Si makes 200 stock and only makes 230 after those basic mods.
Either way, you'lll be nowhere near your goal with basic mods.
Very interesting on both your posts, learned alot from what you said. Thank you for that!

If i were to go for the force induction route, what should I be looking at? And that video is basically what my goal would be.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does NY require you to do state emissions? I highly recommend looking in k20a.org for builds to get you an idea on what route to take.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Very interesting on both your posts, learned alot from what you said. Thank you for that!

If i were to go for the force induction route, what should I be looking at? And that video is basically what my goal would be.
Forced induction in your case brings you to another tough spot because the 9th gen has a single port integrated exhaust manifold/downpipe. I don't know of any bolt on kits readily available but fabricating a header for the turbo would be simple, so you might have some custom work on your hands for turbo. Output wise, you can easily achieve your power goal. I'd look into bolt on turbo or even supercharger kits for the 9th gen si. Either one would give you great power without an extensive build.

K20a.org is a great place to look for info, but it's mostly geared towards swapped vehicles. I believe there is a 9thcivic specific forum as well that could be helpful.

BoostedK24z7

Forced induction in your case brings you to another tough spot because the 9th gen has a single port integrated exhaust manifold/downpipe. I don't know of any bolt on kits readily available but fabricating a header for the turbo would be simple, so you might have some custom work on your hands for turbo. Output wise, you can easily achieve your power goal. I'd look into bolt on turbo or even supercharger kits for the 9th gen si. Either one would give you great power without an extensive build.

K20a.org is a great place to look for info, but it's mostly geared towards swapped vehicles. I believe there is a 9thcivic specific forum as well that could be helpful.
PRL motorsports, Makspeed, and Full-Race all make turbo kits for the 9th gen SI. CT-e and KW make bolt on supercharger kits. Based on what your looking for and much much simpler to install if your doing it yourself is a supercharger kit. Vittuned.com has good deals for that route (he's also tuning my car). I have a custom turbo kit based off of the Makspeed hotside/intercooler setup on my car with a Garrett GTX3076r turbo making 410ish whp that I installed myself. Please feel free to hit me up if you need help or if you go turbo the guys at PRL are known for their top notch customer support and advise or if supercharged I would reach out to Vit. Hope that helps you. Below are pics of my baby =) 20160130_143908_resized_1.jpg 20160130_135139_resized_1.jpg