Newbie Just Bought a '96 Honda Civic Hatchback DX

SDoTTrEsS15

Hey there, I was lookin for an online community that would give me support so that
I can customize my car how I want it. I have always wanted a Honda Civic Hatchback
as it brings back nostalgic memories of time spent in my motherland. The fact that its
from 1996 just sweetens things as it was a very emotional year for me. Well I bought
my car maybe overpriced not sure as it is only the second car that I own. I don't want
to sell it off and see myself keeping it. I just wanted support for customizing my car
exactly how I envision it. Thanks and hope to hear from u guys soon!

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:nopics:
Welcome and glad to hear you got the exact car you wanted. Have fun with her.

SDoTTrEsS15

Thank you guys! I'm goin to post pics up right now. I bought this in Charlotte last week for $2000. I test drove it and everything seemed fine to me. There were some minor things like a crack in the windshield, the a/c/heater system needin to be flushed out, etc. But like I said this is the car that I wanted. Not sure if I over paid tho.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good base, not a fan of the tails. You can turn this car into something nice.

SDoTTrEsS15

203CT did I pay a good price for it? I bought it as a daily driver but this is my all time favorite car. That I plan
on restoring.

Itmllc

Sounds familiar, this model was my dream car too when I was younger, and finally just got one and started working on it.

CO671

Registered VIP
I wish there were more hatchbacks where I lived, I always dreamt of having one as my first car. Congrats! I'll list a few things you can do from cheapest/free modifications to the more costly.
1)Start off with cleaning. Good wash and wax, then a steam clean in the inside, maybe take out the seats too just to clean it thoroughly since it still has those old dead skin cells of the previous owner! Simple green is great for interior panels and many other parts of the car. Use a tint-safe glass cleaner for the tint (you don't want ammonia based cleaning products on your tint, it'll ruin it). Wd-40 is actually a good cleaner for the engine bay because it eats up the gunk, just grab a can or two and spray around. Try not to get it all over the alternator, any of the belts, or flooding the distributor or sensors. Then wipe clean.
2) Sand down and spray-paint those windshield wiper arms, maybe get new blades if they're bad
3) If you grab some spray-paint, also try to look for some high temp paint that can be used to paint the valve cover and heat shield: (assuming yours is in need of one) [there are many online DIY tutorials for this)
4) Tune-up, new spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter (a washable one), fluids (oil, coolant, brake, power steering, transmission, clutch too if it's manual), brake pads and/or rotors. Reason for this, because it's your vehicle, you need to maintain it or have a shop do it and you now can mark down your own service intervals and be happy you have a good running car, unless you know the previous owner took good care of it. You can save hundreds of dollars by doing simple jobs yourself and have shops do the more technical or things you don't feel comfortable doing.
5) Maybe more in-depth tune-up, valve adjustment, timing etc;etc;
6) Be sure it runs right and reliable before you start throwing money into mods.
7) I'd start with new tail-lights; try to source out some 99-00 hatch tail-lights that look like this or just get a 96-98 stock which is this
8) If you want a tachometer, go out to a yard or look on classifieds sections and grab or 96-00 Civic LX/EX or 97-01 CRV cluster it's a very simple mod, just a few screws and plugs to plug in. If you want, there are modifications to get an S2000, Integra, or 2001-2005 Civic Cluster into your Civic.
9) Maybe a front lip (CTR or SiR style)

SDoTTrEsS15

THanks for the advice! It runs good and everything. No lights on on the dashboard whatsoever.
Does have some little things like a crack in the windshield, have to flush out the a/c/heater system,
I have to install the spring for the left side of the trunk, etc. Little things like that, but the most basic
and most important things like the tune up, etc. I'm takin care of now. I'm goin to get new breaks
this month and hopefully by Christmas I will have new tires also.

CO671

Registered VIP
THanks for the advice! It runs good and everything. No lights on on the dashboard whatsoever.
Does have some little things like a crack in the windshield, have to flush out the a/c/heater system,
I have to install the spring for the left side of the trunk, etc. Little things like that, but the most basic
and most important things like the tune up, etc. I'm takin care of now. I'm goin to get new breaks
this month and hopefully by Christmas I will have new tires also.
Oh sounds like you're on track and willing to build this up to your comfort ASAP. Good luck!.

SDoTTrEsS15

Btw it's automatic transmission, and I wanna keep it like that. I just wanna fix it so that it looks nice to the eye.
Later on I'll get another Civic to mod for speed purposes. Maybe. I have a Chevy Prizm that I might buy off my
son's mother since that was my first car. I would love to mod that one too.

CO671

Registered VIP
Btw it's automatic transmission, and I wanna keep it like that. I just wanna fix it so that it looks nice to the eye.
Later on I'll get another Civic to mod for speed purposes. Maybe. I have a Chevy Prizm that I might buy off my
son's mother since that was my first car. I would love to mod that one too.
Oh. Honda Automatic transmissions, those are often killer problematic, make sure you use Honda OEM Fluid! Even at the parts store, the transmission fluid says (Do Not Use On Honda's) aha. Well hope it all works out soon. Honda's are cheap to build nicely because of the huge aftermarket, if you have money, you'll be fine!

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I payed $2200 for mine and its in worse body condition than yours. Got a pretty good deal i think

CO671

Registered VIP
How much do you guys think I'll spend for some good modding?
Well what kind of modding are you looking for? Interior, Exterior, Wheels & Tires, Suspension, Performance.
A 6th Generation Civic can be heavily modded for hella cheap.

SDoTTrEsS15

Well I wanted to keep the automatic transmission, but I wanna do the interior probably black leather inside, a new steering wheel, and exterior: new tires, lights, body kit etc.