Newby Honda owner with electrical issues

94D16z6

Hello All. Im new to this site and also to owning a honda. I love my civic but am having electrical issues. Every morning my battery is dead, The battery is pretty much shot now but i know i have a parasidic drian. Was putting in a Rear wheel bearing and herd the fuel pump running slightly, So i changed the fuel pump relay.It didnt changed anything. As i am not the best with electrical i could really use some help!!! would like to tune this car but can't if i can't keep a battery in it. also have some modification questions if i can get this problem fixed

Im driving a 94 Civic Ex D16z6

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello All. Im new to this site and also to owning a honda. I love my civic but am having electrical issues. Every morning my battery is dead, The battery is pretty much shot now but i know i have a parasidic drian. Was putting in a Rear wheel bearing and herd the fuel pump running slightly, So i changed the fuel pump relay.It didnt changed anything. As i am not the best with electrical i could really use some help!!! would like to tune this car but can't if i can't keep a battery in it. also have some modification questions if i can get this problem fixed

Im driving a 94 Civic Ex D16z6
Do you have an aftermarket sound system by any chance?
I had a buddy who's amp was wired up wrong and would drain his battery if he didn't unhook it when he parked it.

Ghetto, I know, but it was high school.

94D16z6

No stock sound system just aftermarket radio witch was in the car when i got it i've had the car for 9 months problem just started about 2 months ago

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Fuel pump gets power through the main relay. It's possible you have a short there allowing the pump to keep power. Super quick test would be to pull the main relay and listen for the pump to die. If it does, then your problem is the relay or ahead of that someplace. If the pump stays on with the relay pulled out, someone either ghetto rigged your fuel pump and bypassed the relay or it's not actually your fuel pump you hear running. Simple test and fix if it is indeed main relay related. Google it for an image and location. Very easy to find and take care of. Good luck! :thumbs up

94D16z6

Im starting to think its in the ignition or contacts inside the ignition. the car is a virgin (no mods) as of current . I put a new fuel pump in couple months ago also put new fuel pump relay in last weekend and the problem persists. im going to look under the dash again and see if i can find any shorted wires, next step will be pulling the steering wheel and replacing ignition. im also having a strange miss fire under load and under 3k rpms seems to do it worse soon as i get off the freeway especially from a stop.

94D16z6

Found the drain!!! Was the dam ABS System disconnected it and car is good except the miss fire which i think is the fuel pressure regulator.