No experience, with a 2000 Civic Dx project

JRBB

I have a 2000 Civic Dx project, it was my sons civic but lack of attention on engine, damage engine. anyway i want to to repair, i have consider the obtions, 1 of rebuilding the engine, 2 swap engine with a jdm and would like to get suggestion from more experience owners that might have gone thru this issue.

I have a few questions if i decide to rebuild engine what is best original oem or would aftermarket complete rebuild kits work and where is the best place to get cheap oem honda parts at a good price.

on a engine swap i have 1.6 non vtec engine, can i swap with a vtec or does it have too be for same non vtec, i also see on ebay mostly 1.5 jdm engine would that work to replace 1.6 i have without major modifications and also where would be a good trust worthy place to find jdm engines if i decide this route. Thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome aboard! The search option will be your best friend because every one of your questions has been covered in great detail more than once on this forum alone. Please search first and you will learn plenty. Good luck.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

what is best original oem or would aftermarket complete rebuild kits work and where is the best place to get cheap oem honda parts at a good price.
What do you mean by rebuild kits? Gaskets and such? I would recommend OEM. If doing a head gasket, look into Fel-Pro.

on a engine swap i have 1.6 non vtec engine, can i swap with a vtec or does it have too be for same non vtec, i also see on ebay mostly 1.5 jdm engine would that work to replace 1.6 i have without major modifications
Yes, you can swap in a vtec engine. You can swap in a large 1.8 B-series motor as well if you wanted. Many other Honda/Acura motors can be swapped in. This is very common, so as HeX mentioned search around and you'll definitely find what you're looking for. Personally, I swapped a B18 into my Civic. Non-Vtec, but it was still a good upgrade. I had first swapped in a vtec head, but it wasn't worth it for me in my opinion.

also where would be a good trust worthy place to find jdm engines if i decide this route. Thanks
hmotors & craigslist are a couple good places to start.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/