No laughing!!!

muddywj

Recently picked up a 97 DX from a tow yard. It's going to be my DD as my Jeep is becoming a trail rig. Anyway the PO really Did a number on this bad boy and I'm in the process of rectifying the neglect and "customization". 20150128_162148.jpg 20150128_162322.jpg
I'm No stranger to getting greasy and am planning on getting as much as I can out of the D16(No boost) Very new to imports and IFS.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome!

Going to take a lot to get that D16 up to any worth while power without boost. Intake, exhaust, header, etc isn't worth the money spent unless going for a different sound as the gain is very minimal on a wee little d-series. It was built for gas mileage and the only thing that will pull any kind of power worth a damn without boost would be to fully build the internals which is not very kind to the wallet. Not that it isn't done, but it isn't done very often for a reason. I would recommend swapping to a bigger motor or rethinking the no turbo thing if you want HP. Otherwise, fix the mess the PO left and enjoy the great gas mileage.

muddywj

Thank you. I was looking at intake manifolds and headers. Already have an intake. The little bit gained is worth it to me. This thing has No top end. After 3600 in 4th it's a pig.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They are all pigs. The automatics even more so. They were built to get the best gas mileage on the market at the time.

Just slapped an intake, a throttle body, a manifold, full exhaust, one of those retarded chips, and a header on one of the lot kid's cars at work and it is still a pig. Wasted his money and now the bunch of money he just spent on all that, he could have had most of a turbo build and a LOT more power.