No Stereo Sound

Rogerh

Hi. I have a 2002 Honda Civic and I was recently reinstalling one of my amps and the ground wire touched the side of the amp. Gave a slight spark and since then the stereo turns on but I'm getting no sound from my speakers and neither of my two amps turn on. Wondering if a fuse was blown but which one. Would it affect both amps? Help please.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I shortened your title from "Stereo on but no sound sound from speakers or power to amplifiers" so its simple & to the point.

First off, a ground wire would not cause spark, so you must mean you touched the power line. I assume you have one amp for the speakers and another for a sub or subs. Your amps should not share a power cable with anything else & should have their own dedicated inline fuse. If you didn't do this then make sure to do so. Have you inspected the fuses on each amp? Where did you source the power for the amps? WHat gauge wiring did you use? How many RMS watts are the amp rated for? Do the amp blink in red, potentially indicating they're in protection mode. Have you read/ look up the amp manuals? As you can tell, more details will be useful.

Rogerh

I have one amp for my speakers and one for my subwoofer. The soundsysem was working properly as I only disconnected it for cleaning. I hooked it back up exactly as I was before but in doing so the big black wire touched the side of the amp it self and a spark came. I then went and disconnected the battery and continue to reattach the wires at the side of the amp. I checked all the. Fuses on both amps and there are fine. The power light on neither amp comes on but the stereo is on. I also checked all the fuses In the box under the hood but they also seem fine.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The soundsysem was working properly as I only disconnected it for cleaning. I hooked it back up exactly as I was before but in doing so the big black wire touched the side of the amp it self and a spark came. I then went and disconnected the battery and continue to reattach the wires at the side of the amp.
Black is traditionally used as the ground wire while red is used for the power. If the black line sparked then either the lines are inverted or its touching power somewhere. Inspect the wires and their connection points.

I checked all the fuses on both amps and there are fine. The power light on neither amp comes on but the stereo is on. I also checked all the fuses In the box under the hood but they also seem fine.
Your comment I highlighted in red doesn't make sense. Did you mean to say the amp power indicator lights don't come on whether the stereo is on or off? Please answer the other important questions.

-Did you install an inline fuse?
-Where did you source the power for the amps?
-What gauge wiring did you use?
-How many RMS watts are the amp rated for?

Rogerh

On each of my amps has a power indicator which when it is on shows red. Neither of these lights come on. Bare in mind I only removed the one for the subwoofer and didn't touch the one that runs the interior speakers. The Amp for the subwoofer is a MTX Thunder 502. I inspected the power cable and it's fine.the power of the amp comes from the car Battery and that is fine.Regarding and inline fuse I am not sure as this was installed for me years so I'm not sure if there is one or where to locate it. But definitely the stereo turns onand all the functions of it are operational but neither amp seems to be getting any power as their lights don't come on and definitely no sound from any of my speakers..I'm stumped.

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK. Now we're getting somewhere. Usually when someone install an amp they will tell the owner where the inline fuse block is for just such an occasion. If they didnt then either they suck or they didnt install one. However, touching the power of one amp would only affect the other if they share the same power source. With that said, please specify if each amp has a separate power running from the battery or if they split off from one power cable. If that's the case then do explain how they split. If you're lucky, they split it with a dual fuse block. Google "amplifier fuse block" to know what they can look like.

Rogerh

Ok. I don't see a fuse block but both amps do share the same power source Coming from the battery.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok. I don't see a fuse block but both amps do share the same power source Coming from the battery.
How does the power line split then? Its possible you burned out both amps due to the lack of an inline fuse.

Rogerh

How does the power line split then? Its possible you burned out both amps due to the lack of an inline fuse.
I can't really say. I might have to let someone look to see that because I'm not a techy so I'm lost as to where to look. Lol.. If I knew where to look I would but I really have no clues to where to check for this. Can anyone advise me how I can check? I just find it odd that there were both operational. Then all I did was disconnect the one for the sub and cleaned underneath my seat. Then reinstalled it the same way it was before and then neither seem now to get any power. Really frustrated..2 days with out any sound..lol

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is no technicality to this, only effort. Simply track the power cable starting at the battery and work your way to each amp. If you cant do that then you haven't inspected the cables. If you haven't seen the split from one power cable to two (1 per amp) then its possible you do have a fuse block.

Rogerh

Ok I found a fuse block located under the handbrake console. Now what?l

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's an edit button for a reason. I fixed it for you (in red).

Inspect the fuse block, man!:wak: If there's a burnt out fuse or fuses then change them and problem solved.

Rogerh

Ok checking..I also see that there is a power cord which runs between both amps. Small blue one. Not sure if it bares any significance. Will check the block.. Guy who u stalled it has it under the handbrake so it's kind of awkward.. Lol.. Thanks though man..keep you posted

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok checking..I also see that there is a power cord which runs between both amps. Small blue one. Not sure if it bares any significance. Will check the block.. Guy who u stalled it has it under the handbrake so it's kind of awkward.. Lol.. Thanks though man..keep you posted
A cord between both amps? Try to post some pictures of all this. It sounds like the installer did a ghetto job.