noise from driver's side under accelaration

mgslayer

I have a 2002 4 door 5-speed Civic EX with approx 120K. I had a noise from the drivers side from that you would hear/feel when accelerating, almost like a popping. Since the noise started I have replaced the following: driver's side engine mount, front engine mount (ripped to shreds) both complete front strut assembelies (springs, struts, etc). lower control arms because rubbers were shot, outer tie rod ends, front and rear sway bar control end links and bushings, and had the front end aligned. Car is alot tighter but the noise is still there. Checked the lower ball joints by jacking up and moving the tire and trying to pry up with a pry bar and no noticible movement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
Do you feel it in the steering wheel, accelerator, or your seat? Do you hear the popping noise somewhat more the more you turn the steering wheel? Have you ever changed your CV Axles?

mgslayer

I sort of feel it as well on the floor. Doesn't happen all the time but seems to be more and more. It's only when I start to accelerate, not just when I'm turning. Axles are still the originals.
Thanks

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
More than likely it is your cv axles. Turn your steering wheel all the way to the left and then right and look at the cv axle boots and see if there are any cut or holes in the boots. Also look for cv axle grease, a pretty thick grease that looks like dirty conventional oil, around the back of the hub under the boots. If you are having trouble getting a good look at it you may have to jack it up and take each of the front tires off. Let me know what you find.

Do you know if that rear motor mount is any good? I know its the hardest one to change but I changed all four off my motor/transmission mounts when I did mine.

mgslayer

No damage that I can see on theboots, and can do hard turns left and right without any noise going forwards or in reverse. Also with the car in gear I can try and turn the axle forwards and back and have no movement. Thought about the rear engine mount but didn't have time to drop the exhaust and look at it this weekend, but from what I could see with a flashlight and feel, it felt intact, not at all torn up like the front one was.. At this point everything on the front end has been replaced but ball loints and axles so might just bite the bullet and replace them. Big difference in how tight it is with the other new parts on, and if I switch out the axles might as well do the balljoints since everything is apart.
Thanks

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
Why would you have to drop the exhaust? I drove my car up ramps and got under the car to change my rear mount. Besides if you have taken your air resonator box out, which I suggest, you can get a pretty good look from over head and you can reach in and touch it from the engine compartment. Just so you know that rear mount is about ten times harder to replace than the front and drivers side. I had to do it completely under the car. If there is a good bit of rubber between all the metal on your rear mount then, that is probably not where the noise is originating.

My cv axles are getting old and I have heard an occasional pop or click but, once I replaced struts, control arm bushings, and ball joints I do not hear the noise anymore. But I am sure it will return later. cv axles will not hurt any thing that I know of so, I just plan on running on mine til they give out. cv axles that are just starting to make popping noises will tend to only pop when put under a good strain. For instance mine would pop when taking a slight to hard corner from a dead stop while trying to accelerate quickly.

You cannot tell if your ball joints are bad just by pulling on your wheel if you have already changed your control arm bushings. More than likely they are worn or out by now. My bushings squeaked bad after changing them and my struts until I changed my ball joints. They were $20 a piece at autozone with a lifetime warranty. So I believe they are well worth the money. Also they will make your struts and bushings last longer. They complete the front suspension.

BrandonMills

might want to specify the actual sound....Do hear like a low roar when accelerating only? and when i say accelerating i mean any gear, anytime your on the gas. Also this popping sound, does it happen when you accellerate hard (from stop) in first and second, and sound like something spinning and hitting against something else. I ask because I recently posted something like this earlier.......its either my Input shaft bearing or Throw out bearing and need to get a new clutch kit.