Noise then smoke after second timing belt change (video)

SpeedDem0n

I changed my 98 Civic's D16Y7 timing belt for the second time. After the first time there was a horrible noise and burn smell. The same noise and burn smell is happening with a brand new belt that is a different brand. The belt tension was more taunt than last time after getting a new tensioner and spring then doing the correct procedures to tension the belt. After changing for the second time, the noise, burn smell, and SMOKE came after running for 1 minute. For some reason the phone video does not show the smoke ALTHOUGH THERE WAS SMOKING FOR 5 MINUTES AFTER UNCRANKING coming from where the area I point to in the video, around where the valve cover's bottom right corner and from below or level to the PS pump. The smoke could have been coming from further below, but this is the only place the smoke was exiting- out from that hole between that valve cover edge is and the PS pump that I point to in the video. I tried tracking the smoke to where it was coming from but my light wasnt good enough and then it started to die down.

I do not know what is causing the noise, burn smell, and smoking. One thing I did was loosening all the V belts (PS, A/C compressor, alternator) to below tension. I had them all tensioned to spec but now they are barely taunt enough to not slip. That did not fix. Also removed valve cover and scanned it closely for a loose tool or whatever. Nothing was found loose in there. Timing of the cam shaft matches the crank shaft. Timing was checked more than anything in several ways throughout the whole process. Timing has never been lost. Only thing I haven't done like the procedures say is adjust valves after changing timing belt. Did not adjust valves. The shift lever was vibrating really bad immediately when and after I cranked, matching with the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idpco9BAYvk

brownjohanor

Respected
Check the simplest stuff first like each belt individually for ware or if the belts rubbing.against anything also clean your excess muck from your engine problems are easily found with a clean engine

Sent from my HUAWEI Y330-U05 using Tapatalk