Noob B16 help

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I want to build my b16a2 ek9 hatch would like a turbo and be a dd. question is where do I start?
You have a EK9 with a B16a2? I would of kept the stock B16b.

DD turbo is doable. What's your power goal?

Coloradohatch

In deployed(us army) right now. And bought the car with a b16a2 bar'd. I've looked at a lot of forums and people are sayin it's hard to break 200 just the mortor. But I would like to get up to that number so 180+ then a turbo. I just don't know what step one is

JeffBel

Registered VIP
Legit ek9? I'll sell you my b16b. Not that hard to break 200 on it, this one made 210.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't an ek9 supposed to be right hand drive? They weren't imported to the us as far as I recall.

Coloradohatch

See like the title says I'm a noob lol but I'm learning so it could be something diff and I could have misunderstood the place I'm in Afghanistan so I can check the VIN till I get back. I posted a link from Flickr that has pics of it maybe someone can tell from that

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did a quick google search. Pics you posted are not an ek9.

A true ek9 will be right hand drive, have red recaro seats, red door panel inserts, and a b16b engine. There are more things but those are the ones that will stand out.

They were only available in Japan. Some of them have been imported privately around the world, but never imported through dealers.

What you pictured looks to be just an ej6. The vin will tell the truth.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is an imported ek9. It was at my work a few weeks ago.

Coloradohatch

Thank you like I said I think it was a misunderstanding but until I get home from deployment I will not be able to see the vin :(

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Omg i was like wtf a real ctr!

I was gonna offer u moneys but now i do not want...

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want to go boost with that b16, first things first: build for low compression. Pistons, rods, rings, bearings, rod bolts, head studs etc. I'd recommend having the whole block torn down at a machine shop, have it hot tanked if you can. If you've got the moolah, buy a turbo kit (Greddy, Edlebrock etc.), if not, piece it together. Most importantly, TUNE IT once it's all assembled. PLEASE tune it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So can guys point me where to go to get advice on engine upgrades?
Use the search button here. Performance has been covered just about everyday. Turbo especially. Hell, there is even a section in the forum just for forced induction.

Google is also a wealth of resources.

Coloradohatch

So stage one of this project will be me or a shop goin through all of the engine make sure it's tip top shape, engine, tranny, axles, wheel hubs, suspension, internals, etc. then I need to find what my true goal is. I'm 26 in the military and don't have the feeling I need to prove anything I just want a nice car that I can go for a cruise in and enjoy life and when the littl kid pulls next to me with hi ls car that has a eBay muffler I can stomp him so I guess maybe a low end turbo is what I will be looking at but I need to find out more about the differences between a high end and low end and about torque I'm so new to this and not sure bout anything and where I'm at in Afghanistan I'm the only honda/car guy here so I don't have anyone to talk to other than the people on here or google lol.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
First things to answer...

1) How mechanically inclined are you

2) How much of a daily is this going to be, like every single day driver when you're back in the states?

Coloradohatch

Well for the most part I know a little bout chars butt I have someone to tell me what to do or aa good book to go on ill be ok. Most I've don't To a car right now was a full exhaust exchange lol which isn't hard lol. But if I knew what bid doin i know how to ask for help. And is goin to be driven everyday at least it's my only car. But I won't be that guy that does all this stuff on. His car and never check on it that will be monthly routine if not more