Not another clunking noise thread!!

dc5kid

OH s**t!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha there seems to be alot of these types of threads but I am stumped! I have a 96 Ek.. I got d2 coilovers on it. Im not exactly sure when, but I started having a clunking type noise when going over any type of bump, as well as when shifting at low speeds. I can feel it up through the steering wheel. I have replaced pretty much every bushing/bearing/ball joint up front, and still have the clunk noise. I was wondering if it could possibly be my steering rack since I feel the bumps up through my steering wheel. Its really driving me insane. Any ideas?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It could be that the steering column shaft/coupling bolts are loose but its far less likely than something bad bad tie rods, bushings or bad ball joints.

I would lift up the front end and recheck all the tie rod ends, bearings and ball joints before going onto checking the rack and pinion.

Are you sure that all your suspension bolts are torqued to spec? Lug nuts tightened properly? Also, if you have power steering your problem could be caused by air in that system.

Hopefully this helps!

dc5kid

OH s**t!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It could be that the steering column shaft/coupling bolts are loose but its far less likely than something bad bad tie rods, bushings or bad ball joints.

I would lift up the front end and recheck all the tie rod ends, bearings and ball joints before going onto checking the rack and pinion.

Are you sure that all your suspension bolts are torqued to spec? Lug nuts tightened properly? Also, if you have power steering your problem could be caused by air in that system.

Hopefully this helps!
all tie rod ends, bushings, and ball joints were replaced trying to fix the clunk noise but nothing fixed it. All suspension is tight and lug nuts are tight too... I do not have power steering.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you sure everything is tight and/or torqued to spec? If everything is good, nothing should be clunking. I would go back through everything and check just in case. I would specifically check your shock tower mounts and upper control arm ball joint.

Also, how low are you? If you're slammed, you are either bottom out your shocks causing your bump stops to hit, or your UCA is hitting the shock tower. Worst case scenario, your axles are hitting the frame rail, but your UCA should hit the shock tower first.