Now my 1989 Honda Civic DX won't start at all

blackdemon88

Hi everyone I hope someone can help me because I don't know what to do! My Honda was running okay until I shut it off in my driveway. Now no matter what I do it will not start! I have been trying to start it but I just burned up my starter so I had to get another one. I put that one in and it still won't start. I am getting plenty of fuel in fact you can see it squirting out of the throttle body when you turn the key. I checked the plugs and they were wet. I have voltage at the coil(new) and the igniter is new. The only thing I am thinking it could be is the crankshaft position sensor in the Distributor. I did take the (2) injectors out and cleaned them with carb cleaner because my car was hesitating from a stop (if that matters) and it seems to of really helped with the flow. When I pulled the plugs they were all wet which tells me that fuel is getting to the cylinders but there is no spark to burn the gas Could the distributor be my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Michael

RonJ

Banned
So why haven't you check for spark????

Any CEL codes?

blackdemon88

I just checked for spark. None of the cylinders had any spark. When I first first checked for spark on the first cylinder(first on left looking at engine) I had spark in that one. Then I checked the second one and (being the dumb*** I am ) I forgot to take the Fuel pump fuse out and it sparked and kind of popped! Scared the crap out of me!!:shock: After that I took the ECU fuse out and I had NO spark in any of the cylinders including the 1st two I checked. Another question I have is am I supposed to have ground wires connected to the thermostat hsg. I read somewhere that there are supposed to be a lot of them on one of the bolts and I don't have any on them. Thank you for your help so far guys

sleeper si

Registered VIP
I just checked for spark. None of the cylinders had any spark. When I first first checked for spark on the first cylinder(first on left looking at engine) I had spark in that one. Then I checked the second one and (being the dumb*** I am ) I forgot to take the Fuel pump fuse out and it sparked and kind of popped! Scared the crap out of me!!:shock: After that I took the ECU fuse out and I had NO spark in any of the cylinders including the 1st two I checked. Another question I have is am I supposed to have ground wires connected to the thermostat hsg. I read somewhere that there are supposed to be a lot of them on one of the bolts and I don't have any on them. Thank you for your help so far guys
taking out the ecu fuse out was another dumb thing to do.

blackdemon88

taking out the ecu fuse out was another dumb thing to do.
Well if it was stupid how am I supposed to do it? I'm sorry if I don't know alot about Hondas! By the way I did unplug the injectors and it was still shooting gas out. That is why I pulled the fuse for the Fuel pump/ECU

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Well if it was stupid how am I supposed to do it? I'm sorry if I don't know alot about Hondas! By the way I did unplug the injectors and it was still shooting gas out. That is why I pulled the fuse for the Fuel pump/ECU
it is not going to spark since you took out the ecu fuse. should take out the fuel pump fuse.:roll: